Why I Don't Go to Quick Lube Places

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like that "referee" wave once the car stops moving. "You're good!."

Reminds me of John Belushi on Animal House when he tells the guy to stop after he hits the wall.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Location does not matter. You still can't fix stupid.

+1 Stupid car owner, and stupid shop owner for letting the customer drive into the shop. Now if an employee was driving, or broke rules allowing a customer to drive in, then stupid employees. Either way I'll continue to stay clear of quick lube shops.

There are some good ones. When I got a Polaris Slingshot (three wheeler) with an Exotec motor I decided I would buy the oil and filter I wanted, as I do with my other vehicles, and find someone to do the work. At my age I can't do it anymore. I live in a small town and while talking to the guys at AZ I mentioned I was looking for a lube place, other than Walmart, with a pit. They referred me to Snappy Lube. Went down, talked to manager who had been with that company 12 years and did much of the work himself. He was pleased to do the job for me and we chatted while I looked on. His tech, was up top changing the cartridge filter. When I asked him to make sure he didn't overtighten the filter, he offered to let me cinch it down, which I did. They've now done two changes for me and we're on first name basis.

There are good folks out there; you just have to look for them.

I take the Matrix to the Ford Quick Lane for oil changes. MC oil filter with MC oil. First few changes were with 5w20, then a few with 5w30 and the last one was with 0w20 syn-blend. I get the same guy each time since I pull in front of his bay, he takes his time and even cleaned up an area that had some p.s. fluid on it without me asking. Plus a multipoint inspection and they don't go overboard with upselling.

The places I have seen have a removeable/sliding grate that covers the pit when not in use to prevent what happened. Wonder why this place did not have it, especially if they are letting customers drive in.

Looks to me like the tech was signalling to the driver to turn to his (the driver's) right - which was exactly the wrong direction. Either that or the tech was gesturing to his left (the driver's right) for no reason at all.

On the other hand, he got the 'stop now' signal right.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Looks to me like the tech was signalling to the driver to turn to his (the driver's) right - which was exactly the wrong direction. Either that or the tech was gesturing to his left (the driver's right) for no reason at all.

On the other hand, he got the 'stop now' signal right.

Huh?
He is motioning the correct way with his right hand to his right/drivers left (his hand in a fist and thumb pointing to the right). Not the clearest video and he should have used both hands to be more clear.
Again, we don't know if this was the customer driving or another employee, but regardless, they need to have to covers on the pit (actually an OSHA violation). The other pit is open too with no cover on it.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Huh?
He is motioning the correct way with his right hand to his right/drivers left (his hand in a fist and thumb pointing to the right). Not the clearest video and he should have used both hands to be more clear.

You could be right. Either he is pointing to (his) left with his whole arm and hand or to (his) right with his thumb. That could be the problem - room for interpretation, especially with an inexperienced (but pretty aggressive) driver doing an unfamiliar task.

Anyway the situation needs to be made fail safe by using a cover. As Warren Buffet said (about investments), "buy a company that any fool can run, because some day one will be running it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back