Tires like new but 10-20 years old. Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too-- That's a nice looking truck you have, and I like the color a lot! If it were me, I would replace all of the tires. It's just not worth it, in my opinion, but you probably could get away with it. Is it worth it? I don't think so, and like was said above, it's definitely not worth it if you lose any freedoms associated with it (can't drive in the rain, can't drive in the winter, can't drive on the Interstate, etc.)

Light truck tires are better made than passenger car tires. I used 20+ year old tires without issue. Almost all my blowouts happen with the newer tires. Something with the rubber these days. Its just not what it used to be.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Wow, they really look like Nu. Finish them off asap.

I see what you did there.
thumbsup2.gif

Truck looks good, just like all the OP's vehicles I've seen posted here. Keeps his vehicles looking sharp.

As for tires, generally speaking 10 years would be at the outer limit time wise imo.

While perhaps I wouldn't be in rush, I'd be looking for the next excellent promo sale at DT/DTD to get a new set. I know it's tough when the tires look good. It comes down to your comfort level with knowing the age of the tires, who will be driving the truck, and how it will be used.

Are they so bad you'd stab 'em in the sidewalls to render them unusable?

I ask because when you have new tires mounted those "oldies" will go into the recycling stream.

TRANSLATION: Someone will be using them. Any price you negotiate for new ones might be lower due to the oldies attractive condition.

How then do you live with yourself?

Perhaps selling (giving) them to a farmer who uses his truck as a REAL farm vehicle would be a good thing to do.

A "low 'n slow" Colorado marijuana farmer could use 'em. Kira

I think your suggestion depends on what you intend to do with the vehicle.

Are you just going to drive it for 1000m/year for another 10years? Or you putting it into service and then going to get some use out of it...

Will you even keep it for another 10 years? or get rid of it next year?

How much are new tires going to hurt you budget wise?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I know tire places and manufactures say to replace tires at 10 years regardless of mileage.

I believe that they actually recommend replacement at 5 years now.

That right?

Cool.

Because its even easier to ignore.

When I looked into the 10 year thing it seemed it was an arbitary CYA number grudgingly endorsed by the tyre company associations with the caveat that it had no specific technical justification. A lot of the push for this came from the car manufacturers, and the infamous Ford Explorer/Bridgstone debacle.

The car companies (unlike the tyre companies, who have ageing inventory concerns) have nothing to lose by specifying short tyre life, and so they come up with a single CYA number that accomodates some very high performance vehicles used in jurisdictions with no speed limit (autobahns). I'd guess (though I havn't looked into it lately) that a 5 year limit comes from them.

Its intuitively reasonable that a tyres reliability declines with age, but any time limit is arbitary, especially when applied to an individual case with tyres of a known history.

Originally Posted By: Kira

TRANSLATION: Someone will be using them. Any price you negotiate for new ones might be lower due to the oldies attractive condition.

How then do you live with yourself?

Easily, I'd have thought, since the tyres are date stamped and the purchaser can use their own judgement.

Originally Posted By: old1
PERSONALLY I would run them and not give it a thought. BUT I won't tell you to do it. The only tires I ever had go bad on the road were like new 2 year old tires. Old ones, no problems. My 65 mustang has 10 or 12 years old tires, but then I never drive it over 70. Also, the few tires that did go bad/blow out on the road gave me no handling problem till I was stopped.

I've only been in one "blowout" situation (actually a rapid deflation due to a kerb-clip) in a heavily loaded Commer van, possibly the least stable 4-wheeled vehicle ever made.

No one noticed until the (rear) tyre caught fire and started producing a comet-tail of dense black smoke. It was quite difficult to put out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
So would everyone agree the unused, new condition 20 year old spare absolutely need to be replaced? It shows no signs of deterioration and has always been kept indoors with the truck.

Maybe everyone else does. I wouldn't personally consider it for a spare which'll only be fitted temporarily in an emergency.

After all, those "donut spare" things are officially considered an acceptable compromise.

When I looked into the 10 year thing it seemed it was an arbitary CYA number grudgingly endorsed by the tyre company associations with the caveat that it had no specific technical justification. A lot of the push for this came from the car manufacturers, and the infamous Ford Explorer/Bridgstone debacle.

I agree. If people had 12 fingers, it would probably been a arbitrary 12 year limit instead. the 6 year rule (or is it 7) really only applies to the SW. My 1998 Goodyear tires on a mostly garaged car look way better then my 3 -7 year old Yokohamas I have on a car that I park outside. But then again, I live in the Northeast and Yokohamas crack like Michelins.

Even if you don't run more than 45 mph, I'd recommend to change all 5 tires. It's just not safe to continue using them. I once had to use a 10 yr old never been used full size spare to change a flat tire in my Honda that I'd bought 2 months earlier. It had a weatherproof jacket over it. I had it at 30 psi so it was not over- or underinflated. Looked perfect, no cracks at all. Three days later it suddenly ruptured at the middle of the tread area while I was running at 35 mph on a flat asphalt road.

I'd replace the spare with a newer used tire, and just run the others for a couple more years. How's wet traction? when that goes it's usually my cue to ditch tires whether they are 5 or 10 years old. I've run ancient Yokohama r-compound tires for autocross and a couple track days in years past and never had an issue, and my feeling is that yoko tends use rubber that lasts longer but I don't really have any other data.

Just so everyone understands:

Tire engineers (and rubber chemists!) know that rubber deteriorates over time - and that eventually leads to a structural failure of the rubber. Where this usually comes out is in the form of a belt leaving belt separation that starts under the top belt, at the edge of the belt and grows to encompasses the entire bottom of the top belt, where it detaches from the rest of the tire when the centrifugal forces (or is it centripetal forces?) exceed the strength of the tread rubber. (yes, we have studied the failure mechanism closely and know this is the sequence of events!) We commonly call this a *tread separation*, even though it is a bit of a misnomer.

The problem is how to define how long this takes. Since heat is a major factor, where a tire operates becomes important - that is tires operating in Phoenix deteriorate much more rapidly than tires in Minneapolis - so how can one express this difference in a simple way - one that is easy to understand for the average consumer.

There is a lot of data to substantiate this deterioration, but there is a lot of scatter, so it is difficult to point to a single point in time - even factoring in the locale issue.

I spent many hours debating with my colleagues from other tire manufacturers about what to say about tire age and how to say it. We chose 10 years because it was a nice round number (as has been alluded to above) and it would be easy to remember.

And just to add an anecdote: We are aware that spare tires mounted under car and trucks are subjected to the heat of the exhaust system - and they tend to fail where the pipe is closest to the tire.

And a final warning: A tread separation has been known to lead to some pretty bad accidents. In many cases there is little warning this is about to happen.

Your truck's pretty and so are the tires.

I yanked the original spare from my 1995 f150 and mounted it in back. Hasn't blown yet. It peels out in the rain but so would any unloaded 2wd truck.

If you buy new tires, your old tires will be "recycled" (resold) in your town and put on someone else's truck... someone who likely knows less about tires and vehicles in general. So the safety of your town's the relative same.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

If you buy new tires, your old tires will be "recycled" (resold) in your town and put on someone else's truck... someone who likely knows less about tires and vehicles in general. So the safety of your town's the relative same.

That would be a pretty shady shop that would resell tires that old.

I would get them changed. If the tire manufacturer says a tire should not be used after a certain date, I'd listen to that. Tires are one of the most important pieces of a vehicle, connection to the road. Skimping on that is down right silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back