popping out CV axles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to do a CV axle on my g35 today. I've done like 5 CV axles before, didn't think twice of this one.

Inner boot was bad, this was a first time as i mostly deal with bad outer boots. Either way... got everything off easily except the part that goes into the trans. Since the boot was broken, i pulled the outer part and only had the cage or w/e its called left. No pry bar or screw driver was able to get enough leverage. Plus it was tight with PS lines and etc all around. I couldn't for the life of me pop it out.

Googled around and found a slide hammer with CV axle adapter( basically a C shape). I couldn't get that around it. Fought it for about a hour and gave up. Put everything back and had a shop do it. Took them 2 hours altogether because i saw them pull my car into the bay before i left.

What do you guys do in these cases? Normally i have a spot from the bottom to pop them out but this time around the sub frame blocked the under and the engine blocked the front. Exhaust kinda blocked the rear from using a large pry bar.

In hindsight i think i'm just going to stick to brakes, fluid changes and other minor stuff. Time for me to play around is lacking. I needed the car to be done and ready to go before end of day.

On the inner joint area there is usually a small flat spot on the backside that I can get a flat punch to sit against while I strike the punch with a hammer. I then rotate the axle and strike it on the other side, 180 degrees off. Axles usually then pop out.

I would have to have seen the issue myself to determine of some sort of prybar and big hammer could get it off.

Maybe the air chisel is the way to go in cases like this.

what tip/shank with the air hammer. I might of been able to get something in there but it would way to hard of a reach. Biggest issue is i was on my back and not on a lift.

Air hammer didn't cross my mind. But pry bar wasn't cutting it.

i wrap a strap wound the base, next to the pumpkin, then the other end of the strap around a small sledge hammer, pops them out almost every time. youtube it.

How long has the boot been broken?

Ivan, Eric O. from South Main Auto's protege, replaces inner boots this way. By just leaving the inner part in the trans (or diff in your case), separate the joint and replace the boot.

If it's salvageable, you can replace the boot and keep your current axle without risking the problems sometimes caused by aftermarket axles.

IIRC, some CV axles have slot/notch only on certain points (sides) of the axle shaft. C-clips can also take a bit of force after so many years.

Did CV axles on a Nissan Sentra, which had only two slots at 12-6 O'clock. You had to rotate the axle shaft to see the slots. Last did the Accent CV joints...Hyundai uses a notch around all sides, which is so much easier.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

In hindsight i think i'm just going to stick to brakes, fluid changes and other minor stuff. Time for me to play around is lacking. I needed the car to be done and ready to go before end of day.

Set your boundaries and work accordingly. Sage advice
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back