2004 silverado 1500 shake at highway speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ano 04 silverado and it starts to have a slight shake at about 62MPh it then seems it gets slightly better as you get up to 65-70 but it's still there. It is worse going up slight inclines on the highway. It's not shaking in the wheel just the whole truck. I had the rear wheels re balanced and it didn't help nor fix it. I had the u joints checked and was told they werent loose. The rotors are slightly warped. What would cause this?

Last edited:
$80 per tire? They probably meant $80 for all four tires. The trick is finding someone that knows how to operate the machine correctly. So go during a slow time if possible and ask for their best tech ahead of time.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Nope $80 a tire lol.

Most likely a Meth head needing more money for his addiction. Kidding aside $80 a tire? Do they have any buisness?

Just called and found out a local firestone has a road force balancer. 12 a tire

That's good just make sure to go first thing in the morning or mid afternoon during the middle of the week which will be slower times most likely. Call and talk to the store manager and request their best guy for balancing wheels. Maybe make an appt. while speaking to the manager. That way you can get someone that knows what they're doing.

This was several years ago now that I think about it but when I had new Firestones installed on the Accord all balancing weights fell off the oem alloy wheels. Took it back and they redid them. Those flew off as well. Called the manager and he said if I didn't feel any vibration on the hwy then I didn't need them. Shortly after that I had tire issues, uneven wear, loud noise etc. The tires had 30k on them and they were rated for 60k miles. The prorate was horrible so ended up going somewhere else.

The Chevy dealer might do a good job. I've had good experiences at the dealer with alignment and balancing issues.

You can also check to make sure a wheel isn't bent, but the Road Force is a good place to start. $12/tire seems reasonable.

I'm tracking a similar issue myself. Going to do road force first, then check the wheels.

I just bought the truck from a dealer and the wheels and tires were put on just before I bought it all brand new

Forgot to mention one of the rear wheels needed a ton of weight to balance out, the other didn't need nearly as much

Forgot to mention one of the rear wheels needed a ton of weight to balance out, the other didn't need nearly as much

Since you just bought it I'd let the dealer/salesman see if they can do anything about it. Possibly warranty that tire out for a new one since it needed so much weight to balance. The dealer will probably get reimbursed for a new tire so no biggie. You can tell them since the truck had new tires you didn't think there would be tire problems.

I didn't buy it from a big dealership. Just an individual dealer. But I got the priced knocked down pretty good, and he said id have to take it as is no warranty or anything. I may call him if I can narrow it down to the bad tire. Because ultimately if the tires bad it will be under warranty replacement

So road force balancing didn't help. Rim and tire pass all the tests and aren't shown to be bent or anything. What else would cause a shake?

What about rotating them to see if anything changes?

I wonder if the driveshaft needs to be balanced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back