oil for screaming eagle engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, so my Dad just got a mint '05 Heritage Soft Tail Harley. Bought it off a guy who kept it really nice and spot free. He has been using Amsoil in his screaming eagle engine but I would like to use an 'easier-to-find' oil.

I have not checked any motorcycle shops around here locally but I was looking through the owners manual and it says it can use diesel oils that have the rating of CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and CI-4 so any modern Delo/Rotella/Delvac. It says I can use 10w40, 20w50 but this was for the original engine.

I would looooove to just be able to go to walmart and pick up whatever brand of diesel oil is on the shelves there but since this engine is bored etc from reading I don't know if choosing a 15w40 is the smartest option especially that sometimes it can get in the 90s here in southern PA. We definitely don't want this to get too hot.

Should I just stick with 20w50 to be safe? I might see if I can call screaming eagle or whoever about it.

Thanks all!

If your shopping at Wally world you will probably find:

Mobil 1 Motorcycle 20w-50
Valvoline 20w-50 4T motorcycle oil in Synthetic or conventional.

Either would be a good choice.

I don't think you'll find many diesel rated oils at Walmart in 20w-50, 5w, 10w or 15w - 40 maybe.

Thanks. I will have to check next time.

No, no 20w50 diesel rated oils at my walmart, unfortunately.

You can probably find: Mobil1vtwin 20w50, Shell Rotella 15w40 without looking too hard. Either will work. The Vtwin can go 5000 miles where you should change the 15w40 at about 3000. If it is a performance build then stick with a 20w50. Or go to a Harley Dealer and get the Syn3 20w50. In the trans you want to run any 75w90 or 85w140 gear oil and run it for 20,000 miles. In the primary Rotella 15w40 will be fine for 3-5000 miles.

If you have an Autozone nearby the Manager can get you the Mobil1 20w50 Vtwin.

Last edited:
Many harley riders also use Mobil 1 15w50 auto racing oil with good results. Many Wal Marts carry that.

Some of the best UOA's of Harley big twins came from Valvoline VR1 and Kendall GT1 20w50 auto racing oils. But you will have to hit up a parts store to get one or the other of those.

If you are wanting to run a Diesel Oil, it is hard for me to imagine Delo 5w40 synthetic or Rotella t6 5w40 wouldn't satisfy the need.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
If you are wanting to run a Diesel Oil, it is hard for me to imagine Delo 5w40 synthetic or Rotella t6 5w40 wouldn't satisfy the need.

Mystik makes a semi syn 15w50 diesel oil that would work best if he wanted to use a HDEO

Screaming Eagle engine could mean almost anything from a head or top end kit to a complete 120CI crate engine.

Two Walmart oils that are very popular are Mobil 1 V-Twin and Mobil 1 15/50. Either should work fine in the engine.

All I know is that it is a whole new engine because I have the spare in one of the boxes he gave me.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: mazdamonky

Mystik makes a semi syn 15w50 diesel oil that would work best if he wanted to use a HDEO

^ good idea. If you have a Farm supply store near you look for mystic.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
All I know is that it is a whole new engine because I have the spare in one of the boxes he gave me.

Seems like the base Screaming Eagle Motor in 2005 was a 103, they are now 110 and have been for a while... not sure if there was anything in between. It may also have the CID on a plate on the heads. Being a Softail it should be a "B" motor.I believe Fuel Injection was optional in 2005.

At any rate, you've been given some good options, I believe alarmguy has some UOA's on the Mystic from his Road King if you're interested.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Seems like the base Screaming Eagle Motor in 2005 was a 103, they are now 110 and have been for a while... not sure if there was anything in between. It may also have the CID on a plate on the heads. Being a Softail it should be a "B" motor.I believe Fuel Injection was optional in 2005.

At any rate, you've been given some good options, I believe alarmguy has some UOA's on the Mystic from his Road King if you're interested.

Yes I'm glad I got suggestions.

It is definitely fuel injected. There are two black buttons on the top of the engine that you press down. I forget what they are called but I think it's for the compression to help the engine start up easier

20w-50 in the bike..YOu can go to Harley dealer for SYN3 or get the stuff other folks on here have suggested..
You also have another option being REDLINE oils..with this place there in PA..
My Oil Shop ....

I have run HD Syn3, Amsoil, Redline, Valvoline, and Schaeffers (Supreme 7000) in my bikes..

Last edited:
Yeah when in doubt go to the harley dealer but I think I will pass on them if I can.

I did some searching I do have a Schaeffers dealer near me (next town). They are an agriculture shop so I don't know if they will have their V-Twin or Supreme 7000 but I will call them and see if they do.

Edit: They have the V-Twin oil in quarts. Would rather it in jugs but I'm not gonna complain. Just gotta wait for the amsoil oci to run out. Thanks for the other suggestions!

Last edited:
I also use the Schaffers Supreme Gear Lube Synthetic Plus
SAE 75W-90 gear oil (sold in quarts) in the Transmission.

Don't freak out when you see the oil color is green..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back