Ozonated Distilled Water in the Cooling System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Geez or is it whew. Would have been tough to take that I've been using the 'wrong' distilled water for all these years with my cooling system distilled flush series and full strength AF top offs to 50% concentration. Of course because I've been using WM or local grocery store distilled all these years with seemingly good results, highly unlikely I would have searched out 'pharmaceutical' grade distilled anyway. But good know that the ozonated distilled talk nothing more than hearsay with no basis in fact.

And have agree with one poster on the Mustang thread regarding the presenter, saying "I think that you're just a little off the deep end.." xD

Maybe we can get this one added to the Snopes, the rumor/urban legend site.

I hope supermarket distilled water is OK. I just mixed a gallon of it with a gallon of Zerex G-05 AF and changed the coolant in my Liberty with it yesterday. I used the same mix 5 years ago w/o issues. In fact what came out looks almost identical to what went back in. That's if looks matter.
wink.gif

Ozonated water is fine. As stated, O3 is very unstable, there are practically no bonds to hold the 3rd oxygen molecule. You wont find any residual ozone in a gallon of distilled.
O3 is used to purify, it has a very high redox potential, and is injected into practically every brand of bottled water, into the bottle before filling, to sterilize it.
Folks with salt water reef or fish tanks use ozone to help remove organics, and make the water that bluish clear that nature does naturally.
If everyone has not figured out Ramble is argumentative by now, you never will. That's why there is an ignore button....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: davison0976
Why do they add it to distilled water? Precisely for that reason. You see, it's for external use only and has antiseptic properties. In your engine, however, well, it will attack metal.

Absolutely positively not. Any residual ozone is long gone and if there really was any hydrogen peroxide that too will also be long decomposed. Besides it's not corrosive at such tiny concentrations, and peroxide will be catalytically decomposed in the presence of most metals - into oxygen and water.

A lot of nonsense about nothing.

My bad, I overlooked the fact that UV is required to facilitate water and ozone reaction into peroxide. There is no reaction on it's own. While ozone is strong oxidant its half-life in water is about 15 minutes at room temperature while it's breaking down into oxygen. Therefore, like few people have mentioned, it is virtually long gone well before jug of ozonated distilled water is placed on the store shelves for sale.

Two years ago I used the same distilled water to dilute antifreeze concentrate when flushing cooling system in one of my vehicles. I didn't even remember it being ozonated, until re-reading the label on the jug of distilled water I used in the store today.

Quote:
...A lot of nonsense about nothing.

True that.

Just for kicks and giggles, thought I'd do a Google search of the 'ozonated distilled water in cooling system' topic. I found ONE topic entry dating to 2002, and in that entry were a couple comments alluding to the ozonated topic. Even there it was quickly dismissed/debunked as an 'off the deep end' thought. Take more than one google entry to have any credence for me on the topic. Of course now there's two entries with this one, but if one reads it too is quickly debunked.

Unfortunately, it's how internet legends get started.

I worked at a water bottler for three years. They ozinated all their water no matter the source. It does not last long before it breaks down. If the ozone is harmful you better stop drinking bottled water.

Personally I use the water out of my dehumidifier.

^You should probably do a little reading on that, Shoz. Condensate from A/C (and dehumidifiers) is not very clean at all. It's considered "gray water" and is not suitable for drinking, giving to pets, or watering plants. Still might be fine for the cooling system, I don't know.

I use the water from my R/O system.

A good use could be pouring it into the toilet bowl to get a "free" flush.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^You should probably do a little reading on that, Shoz. Condensate from A/C (and dehumidifiers) is not very clean at all. It's considered "gray water" and is not suitable for drinking, giving to pets, or watering plants. Still might be fine for the cooling system, I don't know.

I use the water from my R/O system.

A good use could be pouring it into the toilet bowl to get a "free" flush.
Doesn't have any minerals. I water my over mineralized long time plants with it sometimes to flush the accumulated build up out, use it as the base water for my laundry detergent mix, and use it for the ultrasonic cleaner with detergent and for rinsing.

Doing a little more reading I think it is good for watering plants and what you are using it for. But, you want to take care since it can contain bacteria and other contaminants from the air. One of those potential contaminants is Legionella. I guess as long as you're not drinking it or using it in a situation in which you might breath the mist it's fine. There is also a small amount of metal that gets into it from slow corrosion of the evaporator coil. Again, most likely not a problem for your usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back