Can you sum it up to 2 greases for automotive use

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking to get another gun here soon. Looking to have minimal things now days... The first grease is Valvoline Syn power. But I was told that I shouldn't use that on everything. What is another type of grease to buy that can be used everywhere else that valvoline can't.

A general purpose lithium complex grease like Syn power is about as universal as it gets. Some might argue that a grease containing moly should not be used in universal joints, but Valvoline doesn't agree (at least for an automotive application).

If you wanted a grease without moly, there are many available. Mystik JT-6 High temp. is an example.

NLGI #2 Lithium Complex is a good universal automotive grease.

Then it boils down to with Moly (sliding joints) or without Moly (rotating joints).

Some greases like the Valvoline you mentioned has a moderate amount of moly in them and many people happily use them for everything.

Others prefer more moly for some applications and none at all for others.

You can use the Valvoline Synpower in everything. It only contains about 3% moly which is not enough to negatively effect anything. 5% or more moly content is the level you want to avoid for roller bearings. Because the synpower only has 3% moly, you can use it in the Wheel bearings, tie rods, U-joints and grease zerks everywhere, pretty much anything automotive; use it with confidence!

Originally Posted By: AMC
You can use the Valvoline Synpower in everything. It only contains about 3% moly which is not enough to negatively effect anything. 5% or more moly content is the level you want to avoid for roller bearings. Because the synpower only has 3% moly, you can use it in the Wheel bearings, tie rods, U-joints and grease zerks everywhere, pretty much anything automotive; use it with confidence!

Er...perhaps not in hydraulic brake components (pistons, for example) or anywhere else that rubber might be affected.

You shouldn't be using anything that comes from a grease gun on brake parts in the first place chief...

The OP is asking about greases to use in a grease gun.

You shouldn't be using anything that comes from a grease gun on brake parts in the first place chief...

The OP is asking about greases to use in a grease gun.

Exactly my point. "Wheel bearings, tie rods, U-joints and grease zerks everywhere, pretty much anything automotive;""pretty much anything automotive" has this important exclusion.

The grease gun is, however, irrelevant. Its the grease that matters. You can't actually use a grease gun on most of those things, (apart from the zerks, of course) because they aren't fed from grease nipples. Most cars don't have grease nipples anymore.

Last edited:
The point is, he is asking about automotive grease, not brake parts lube, anti seize or other products that people mistakenly call grease.

The point is, he is asking about automotive grease, not brake parts lube, anti seize or other products that people mistakenly call grease.

To take an example, if you Google "Red Rubber Grease" you get 21,600 hits. These include websites by Castrol, Fuchslubricants, Miller oils and Morris lubricants, who use the term to describe stuff they make and/or sell.

Even if you think this usage is wrong (and I see nothing in the dictionary that would make it wrong) its sufficiently widespread that you'd better learn to live with it.

Last edited:
In the grease guns I use Schaeffer 238 (5% moly) for ball joints, tie rods, links, bucket and king pins and parts like that and Mobil 1 red synthetic for wheel bearings and U joints. Never had a lube related failure. They work great so if it aint broke don't fix fix it I say.

Other greases like Redline CV-2, Millers brake grease, CRC caliper pin grease, Dielectric, never seize and others in tubs or tubes but not in the gun.

Edit: I must say though the grease guns don't get much use today except on the Kubota tractor , I don't use grease fitting joints anymore on cars so its only stuff that's already there or something I service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back