BMW certified 0w-20 list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My new MINI seems to want a 0w-20 (LL14 FE+), like many other BMW & BMW made brethren. I checked my usual oil manufacturer of choice (Motul) and didn't see one meeting that weight/spec yet. Anyone have any leads on US-available oils in that grade with the right spec? It seems like they're still cool with at least some older specs (I pick mine up tomorrow, and haven't seen the book yet - but see others quoting LL-01 0w-30 as acceptable too), so there should be plenty of options there, but I don't see many in brands I recognize except for the stuff they sell, Fuchs TITAN GT1 EVO, and Edge Professional LL14 FE+.

I saw this thread from a bit ago (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3388596/1), but haven't seen a "certified oils" list.

--Matt

Last edited:
I would use the factory BMW oil. It is good stuff. Part # 83212365954.

That being said, I would probably still opt to use the LL-01 FE 0W-30 variant (83212365950).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mkosem
I saw this thread from a bit ago (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3388596/1), but haven't seen a "certified oils" list.

BMW no longer publishes the list to the public. Some people say you can go to the dealer and ask for it, you might try that. As long as you're there you might as well get the oil too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I would use the factory BMW oil. It is good stuff. Part # 83212365954.

That being said, I would probably still opt to use the LL-01 FE 0W-30 variant (83212365950).

However, remember that LL-01 FE has a lower starting TBN that LL-01, so shorter OCIs would be recommended (i.e. maybe 8,000 instead of 10,000 or whatever ridiculous number they are recommending these days).

I believe you are also OK to use LL-01 in your N20 engine.

Last edited:
Legit case to invoke the Magnuson-Moss Act on BMW.

When VW introduced the PD motor in 2004, to be compliant with Magnuson-Moss Act, they had to have some other sources available. Likewise, 507.00, at least we had Mobil 1 ESP 5w40 as a commercial source.

Last edited:
If you want real 14FE certified oil you'd better search for BMW twin power or Mini 0-20 oils.
I suppose that Volvo RBS0-2AE certified oil will also fit because all their engines are supercharged now.
Your engine is hot so you can opt Xw-30 FE oil with low ash, it becomes Xw-20 at 105-100 C.
There is also one more thing, so called LSPI effect on turbos- the best choice for reducing it is Ca-Mg Mobil1 and dont forget about OCI(3-5k miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back