2012 Mazda CX-9 (3.7L V6) OCI Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My service contract on my 2012 Mazda CX-9 (3.7L V6) is over. Dealer used bulk Castro GTX conventional (5w-30) every 6 months or 6,000 miles (every 6 months...don't put too many miles on it). Car has 48,000 miles on it. Don't sit in a lot of traffic. Owner's manual has non synthetic oil OCI intervals. Question is...should I switch to Castrol Synthetic or (NAPA synthetic...is on sale now) and run 12,000 miles or 1 year OCIs?

Anyone have any advice on oil brand for this engine? Appreciate it.

I don't know if Napa synthetic could go for 12k under your driving conditions. Maybe try a 7-8k run first and do a UOA to determine if the oil is OK to run to 12k.

What filter are you planning on using?

My vote goes toward Napa synthetic and a regular wix for 8k miles no problems. If you want to try Castrol Edge, I would go with Castrol Edge black bottle and a Fram Ultra or Fram Tough guard for 10k miles and not think twice. If you want to try one year 15k miles try M1EP or Castrol Edge EP with a Fram Ultra. Any of the above should serve your needs perfectly fine and will cause that Mazda to run for years to come. If you want to try to run an oil not designed for more than 10k miles longer, get a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back