Is Daniil Kvyat's Career Toast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The poor guy really has gone downhill since ramming into Vettel and losing his ride to Verstappen. You don't get second chances in Formula 1. I think if he keeps going like he has, he'll be gone quickly. I can't imagine anyone picking him up at this point, if Toro Rosso dumps him.

He certainly appears to be on a downward spiral that will be difficult to recover from. Hero to Zero.

It depends how many sponsor rubles he can bring to a team. I think the press has been a little hard on him.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
It depends how many sponsor rubles he can bring to a team. I think the press has been a little hard on him.

Well without Maldonado to beat on someone had to be the new whipping boy.
The kid has had a rough trot, and Red Bull are particularly tough on their young drivers. Remember, they have so much up and coming talent in the pipeline that these kids are pretty disposable.
To be frank I don't think Red Bull is a "pay to play" team, so sponsor money really has little to do with it. If he had enough sponsor backing he could probably move to one of the lower ranked teams where pay to play is a thing (watch what happens with Haryanto if his driver dollars run out). [censored] even Kobayashi managed to crowd fund his way into another season with Caterham. They still went to the wall however.

Last edited:
Not sure if his career is toast, but if I were him I would be job hunting. Although after the interview with him on NBCSN, he should be on suicide watch.

Nice link. I'm sure this is weighing heavily on him. Of course, no, the system isn't easy or gentle. There are way more people in this world who are aiming at those seats than there are seats, for sure. But, it could be worse. He did get there on merit, without a bunch of sponsorship dollars paving the way. On the bad side of things, sponsorship dollars could buy him some time in another team if he gets turfed from the Red Bull system altogether.

I think if Red Bull dumps him, he's pretty much finished. I doubt any of the current teams will pick him up. As you said, there are just too many people up and coming that have him in his crosshairs. Red Bull is pretty patient. Look at how long they dicked around with Scott Speed. Not to mention sinking over $30 million into his career. That promptly went nowhere. Another thing is that as a team, Red Bull is climbing. As a driver he is sinking. That makes it even worse.

He's going to have to pick it up quickly if he wants to be retained, otherwise, as you note, there's trouble. He's got the skills. Now, he needs a bit of luck. If he can consistently outperform his team mate, he might have a shot.

Originally Posted By: Garak
He's got the skills. Now, he needs a bit of luck. If he can consistently outperform his team mate, he might have a shot.

I don't think he has the skills to consistently outperform his team mate. Sainz has shown time and time again he's not far behind Verstappen in the skills stakes and he's more measured and mature under pressure that Kvyat.

I think Red Bull's method of stacking junior drivers to weed out the talent is extremely clever, but sometimes you've got to really catch their eye (or have a loud belligerent father screaming how good you are) to make that next step.
In my opinion, JEV was not that far behind Ricciardo, but his time expired and he's languishing in Formula-E. F1 career done.

It's certainly a career grinder, but if you want to get in without some real sponsorship oomph, the Red Bull young driver program is about it. Certainly makes fun watching anyway.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
In my opinion, JEV was not that far behind Ricciardo, but his time expired and he's languishing in Formula-E. F1 career done.

Are you talking about Jean-Éric Vergne?

I think he has the skills, but I'd agree his consistency just isn't there. And yes, grace under pressure is another matter altogether. As an aside, doesn't MB have a bit of a young driver program, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back