Why can't dot5 brake fluid be used with ABS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking all over for an answer to this and can't seem to find it. Does it not respond well to extremely rapid pulses or something?

I don't know if there is a prohibition (I doubt there is.)

DOT5 CANNOT be mixed with what's in your Impreza, which is more important.

DOT5.1 OK

DOT5 - not OK

Not changing my brake fluid... just curious about what it is about the silicone brake fluid that makes it incompatible with ABS (which it most definitely is)

When agitated rapidly (such as the on/off cycling of ABS valves) silicone-based brake fluid foams excessively. Foaming causes the same behavior as if there were air in the lines...so once ABS engages, you're suddenly not stopping.

Edit: additional information

Silicone fluids dissolve air into solution and the rapid cycling of the ABS can release it as a gas.

Video of DOT 5 under vacuum, releasing dissolved air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9IWde0n0Cg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
When agitated rapidly (such as the on/off cycling of ABS valves) silicone-based brake fluid foams excessively. Foaming causes the same behavior as if there were air in the lines...so once ABS engages, you're suddenly not stopping.

Edit: additional information

Silicone fluids dissolve air into solution and the rapid cycling of the ABS can release it as a gas.

Video of DOT 5 under vacuum, releasing dissolved air: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9IWde0n0Cg

That's the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks!

The rubber components that are compatible with DOT3/4/5.1 are usually not compatible with DOT5. That would include the components inside the ABS module.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

If you mix a higher boiling point fluid with a lower boiling point fluid, you lower the overall boiling point of the resultant mix.

Not quite correct. The boiling point of the resultant mix in this case will be somewhere between the boiling point of the lowest boiling point fluid and the highest boiling point fluid. It is perfectly fine to use DOT4 where DOT3 is specified, but not the other way around. That's why Valvoline has brake fluid container labeled as DOT3 & DOT4 brake fluid.

The reason it is communicated to the public not to mix the two fluids is precisely because manufactures don't want that to be interpreted as DOT3 can be used in place of DOT4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back