Battery Insulator/Cover Purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Very simple test with an infrared heat gun: with heat gun check the temperature on the side of the battery after normal driving of around 15-20 miles, one with cover(quickly remove cover to check the temp) and one without cover.

The temperature on the battery with cover should be about 15-20F lower, more on a hot afternoon drive and especially after a long drive of 25-30 miles or longer.

Battery lasted longer in cooler climate, some manufactures have 2 types: standard and hot climate. Batteries in warmer area such as Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, So Cal ... didn't lasted as long as in Northern states.

Originally Posted By: horse123
After the battery heats up to engine bay temp (which it will on any drive 30+ minutes regardless of insulation), all the insulation is going to do is keep the heat in after the car is off and kill the battery faster.

No, a battery with heat shield doesn't get up to engine bay temperature after hours drive, the heat shield keeps the temperature on battery lower about 10-20F.

My S2000 doesn't have OEM heat shield, I bought Reflectix from Lowes and cut to fit the battery size 51. According to infrared heat gun the temperature on the side facing the engine with Reflectix is 20F lower than without after 60 miles drive on a hot summer afternoon.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-50-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-24-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011904

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Heat = enemy so leave it in. For that reason I fabbed an aluminum heat shield around mine. Arizona heat is a battery killer ~3-5 yrs
+1

Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
I don't see how it does much to help but I will take your advice and leave it in place anyways.

Then why did you ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back