Just purchased - '09 Mercedes-Benz C300 - input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!

So after 17 years of dreaming of owning another Mercedes (first car was a beater W124 1986 MB 300E) I was finally able to make it happen yesterday. 17 years of getting the closest thing possible I could afford (Volkswagen) and I had a very gently used '09 C300 dropped in my lap for what I think is a steal.

$13.9k, full service records, '09 C300 Luxury w/62k miles. This was a car originally from Miami and the condition it is in I am presuming it was owned by an old lady or man as the interior and exterior are absolutely pristine for the mileage and age. Some normal wear and tear (needs new floor mats and soft touch paint on drivers window switches is bubbling) but other than that it looks like it was a twirl your jewelry while driving to the country club or bingo hall appliance for the prior owner.

Onto the bad. The full service history is kind of iffy as despite it being performed at the proper times it appears they had the car serviced at a large chain Chevy dealership and currently there is a Valvoline service sticker in the window with an oil change recommended in ~6k miles and oil type not specified. I am assuming that improper oil and/or filters were used as I don't see a Chevy dealership stocking an MB approved synthetic 0W-40 or 5W-40. There is a little bit of clatter at startup until the oil pumps up but other than that engine and transmission are smooth as butter.

There are two open recalls on the car (tail light carrier replacement and zip ties of the cam shaft phaser wiring) that I am having the MB dealership handle but I don't intend on using them as their prices are sky high on routine maintenance ($199 for a basic oil change). We have an A+ independent shop here in Atlanta (Austrian Motors) that I intend on using so no worries on the front of maintenance.

So my plan is to have the oil changed ASAP @ Austrian. Now my question is does anyone have any other recommendations when it comes to preventative maintenance on a 62k '09 C300 w/M272 engine? This engine falls outside the range of the timing gear problems so I can rest easy there.

I have to say I am so happy to be back in the MB family, this car brings back the great memories of my '86 300E. The RWD push instead of the FWD pull, the balance, the solidity, and driving what feels like a solid brick of steel down the road. Granted I loved my Volkswagens as they were the closest thing to a Mercedes I could afford for the past 17 years but to be honest they were only about 85% of what a Mercedes is.

Thanks in advance!

Check if the trans fluid has been changed. It needs to be changed every 39k miles, according to MB.

We had an '08 c300 Sport 4matic that needed a new trans at around 60k miles. Glad i had service records to prove the trans fluid was changed on time.

All in all, the extended warranty we purchased for it has paid for itself many times over. It was a great driving car overall though. It would have been even better with a manual.

Agree with the above -

1. Mobil 1 0W40 (or any good 0W40 meeting spec, but the Mobil 1 is far cheaper than most)
2. Change the transmission fluid with proper spec fluid
3. Flush the brake fluid.

Read your OM, the brake fluid flush is required every 2 years....but only MB dealers actually follow that.

$199 is not a basic oil change - it's the "A service" or the "B service" and there is a whole lot more going on than just the oil change. You don't have to take it to an MB dealer, take it to someone that knows about MB cars, because ignoring the other elements of the specified services during an A or B service will get very, very expensive in the long run...

https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/MY09-Maintenance-Booklet.pdf

If you don't already have it in the glovebox...download it here...

Last edited:
The A service is basically a glorified oil change. They're basically checking various things. On MB, you're supposed to flush the brake fluid every 2 years, if it's the same as the E, it uses Dot 4+. On the 272 engine, I have the same one in my E350, the thermostat tends to go and so do the idler pulleys, I got a kit with the pulley and belts and did the thermostat at the same time, you have to remove one of the pulleys to change the thermostat anyway.

It's not a bad price, I think about getting one as a second car, but they don't really have as many options as the E class does. E class is just a couple thousand more and you can get bixenons, active curve illumination, pano roof, power trunk closer, real leather, keyless go, side blinds, parktronic etc. Plus lots of standard stuff on the E is an option on the C.

Transmission fluid is probably Shell ATF 134, you can get that from a shell distributor for around $5 a quart or pay the dealership around $20 a quart.

http://www.shell.us/business-customers/lubricants-for-business/lubricants-distributor-locator.html

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
I have the same one in my E350, the thermostat tends to go and so do the idler pulleys, I got a kit with the pulley and belts and did the thermostat at the same time, you have to remove one of the pulleys to change the thermostat anyway.

Transmission fluid is probably Shell ATF 134, you can get that from a shell distributor for around $5 a quart or pay the dealership around $20 a quart.

+1, I would have the above done by your local garage, new air and cabin filters, oil change as mentioned.

Also might be a good time to have the rear differential fluid changed.

If you Don't have a fluid extractor you should get one. Oil, ATF and Brake flush are very easy to do with a fluid extractor. Also, you need an oil filter cap wrench, I think it is 27 MM(about 1 1/16")

I bought one more than 10 years ago for my E430, I wouldn't change oil or ATF without it.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input so far! Think I'm going to schedule a service with my local independent for the following:

- Cabin and engine air filter
- Oil change
- Brake fluid flush
- Transmission fluid change
- Rear differential

I am loving this car more and more as I get some more time behind the wheel. This is my first V6 after having pretty much nothing but 4 bangers my entire life excluding the 3.0 I6 in my 300E and it is just smooth, despite being a 90 degree design which are inherently harsh in design it is definitely a smooth operator.

I believe you also have a transfer case in addition to the differential.

You could also join a couple of forums, mbworld.org and benzworld.org are two decent ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back