2005 F-150 2WD Front rotor replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace the front rotor/hub assembly on my 2 WD. Been looking on Ebay. Has anyone heard of or bought from Calahan ? Are Powerstop a decent brand ? Thanks. Truck has 71K on it and the rotors are worn. To have them machined takes a special bit and the dealership wants over a hundred dollars to do it. Thought it makes sense to replace the who hub/ bearing and rotor would serve better. Any opinions are aprreciated.

I have powerstops on the jeep. They aren't great but they aren't junk. If you're looking at their slotted and drilled rotors I would advise against them. That sort of technology is useless on a road car and it just eats up your brake pads faster. Plus they hiss and rattle like a rattlesnake when braking.

If I could do it over again I wouldn't buy them, if that helps.

Lately I've installed several sets of Napa rotors and ceramic pads and I'm pleased so far. One set was on my '85 GMC 1-ton (1-piece hub/rotor) and they're performing well.

LGC7kQi.png

Never heard of Calahan Auto Parts outside of the greatest movie ever made.

Your truck from the factory had a one piece hub/rotor/bearing. The Motorcraft rotors will come with a new one time use nut. If you get the OEM Ford ones, you have to buy the nut separately.

There is some aftermarket setup which from what I can tell uses a 4WD slide on rotor and then a hub bearing that is probably a 4WD one just with the inside not filled.

The Centric setup is cool as long as the mechanic or previous owner discloses that is what they used. More than once a shop or vehicle owner comes to get parts, we look up the factory setup, then we get yelled at because it isn't what is on there.

Be sure to torque them to spec. 280 ft/lb I believe is correct. If you don't get new nuts use a dab of locktite. According to the Ford shop manuals almost every suspension fastener is one time use. The new ones come pretreated with thread locker.

Thanks for the feedback. I learned that the slotted and drilled is overkill and Powerstop may not be a wise choice. I will stick to just vented. Looking at the new design Centric.
Thank you.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Centric setup is cool as long as the mechanic or previous owner discloses that is what they used. More than once a shop or vehicle owner comes to get parts, we look up the factory setup, then we get yelled at because it isn't what is on there.

Similar to some of the aftermarket suspension parts where the factory used an integrated ball joint and the aftermarket replacement parts have a replaceable ball joint. I really haven't seen the advantage to that and I feel sorry for some of the parts men who have some expert customer come in and tell them they don't know what they are trying to sell because their vehicle is proof.

I went the Centric separate hub/bearing and separate rotor route. Easy install, with Hawk PC pads. Smoother and shorter stops. The replacements seem well made. Will replace the rear with same brands, parts on order. Did have to replace the passenger side caliper, original from '05, brittle seal that came apart. Any ideas on calipers for the rear ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back