What type of antifreeze for 2010 Nisan Murano?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
I'd like to do a flush and fill on a 2010 Nissan Murano that has 80K. I looked up what is specified, and all it says is to use Genuine Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant. I'd like to avoid buying it from the dealer. Is there something more generic that can be used in this application? I'm a big fan of Zerex G-05, which is compatible with nearly everything I work on.

Zero G-05 is a low silicate coolant. Zero does make an Asian coolant. I've seen it in Napa. I owned a WRX I bought new and used Peak Global Lifetime the one time I changed it's coolant. Changed it around 30K miles and sold it with 136K on it.

banana2.gif

I see Pentofrost A3 antifreeze for $16.49 at Napa, and it's full strength. Everything else for this vehicle is diluted 50/50. I think I'll go with it.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I see Pentofrost A3 antifreeze for $16.49 at Napa, and it's full strength. Everything else for this vehicle is diluted 50/50. I think I'll go with it.

Curios where you saw Pentofrost A3 is a concentrate? According Pentosin's website it's a premix, and would be like all the Asian OEM PHOATS now, a long(er)life AF.

http://www.pentosin.net/f_antifreeze.asp

Pentosin A2 Green is a concentrate, however it's the older shorter service interval PHOAT, ~2years/30k miles. It's what Nissan used before going to the longer life blue premix.

To get a concentrate in Long Life Asian AF, you'll to have to go to Pep Boys OEM Brand Asian or something like Motorcraft Specialty Green. The latter however is generally very pricey.

You're right. The Napa site doesn't explicitly say it's a 50% diluted mix. Only the MSDS sheet shows 50%min water.

I'll have to rethink this. I usually do a complete flush. But with the proper fluid only available in a 50/50 mix, I can't do a flush because of the residual water. It'll have to be dump and fill to refresh the additives.

I'll have to take a peek at the Pep Boys OEM Brand Asian.

Is the dealer simply too expensive there? Our dealers usually aren't great, but we do get Nissan concentrate in sensible sizes up here, since the one quart jug of concentrate could possibly cause a revolt here.
wink.gif
The OEM concentrate from the dealer wasn't out of line with store pricing. Don't get G-05 from the Chrysler dealer here, though, unless you like torturing yourself.

I'll just say that the newer VQ35 engines from that era will tend to have external head gasket leaks. For some reason it is far less common on the ones that are filled with blue coolant, than the ones that use Nissan green. When you are servicing the system, pay close attention to any external headgasket leaks.

For the reasons mentioned above, our contacts at the dealer advised that we should only use the blue coolant, and even use blue in the systems that originally came with Nissan green. I am not familiar with the technical details....just passing the info along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back