Modifications: how to determine new belt size

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I upgraded my 98 S-10 to an AD244 145A alternator. It's slightly bigger, so most say that a belt approximately 1" longer is needed.

My OE belt size is 6 x 960. I found that a 968 size was available, as was a 970.

The 966 belt fit quite easily, but unfortunately I didn't take good enough notes on where the tensioner marks were (plus I changed the tensioner with a GM OE), so I'm a bit lost.

AD3A34F7-F5AC-4574-A042-6A162385604A_zpstcbmw0m2.jpg

471551D5-8E85-4FEE-8746-8B8E80490E81_zpsumy72gfq.jpg

What's the best way to know if I picked the right size belt? I suspect that the worst-case scenario would be that the tensioner is a bit too far compressed. But does that have a bad effect on the belt or component bearings?

If there's no noise and everything works, should I be concerned?

Thanks!!

I've heard on the serp belts that a 1/4 twist between the longest pulley stretch is ideal.

Hopefully, Trav will chime in or send him a pm. So there's no noise and everything works ok? That's a huge plus. I think the current belt might loosen a smidgen as it wears. At least you have a nice, new alternator in there.

Is the coolant reservoir empty?

Last edited:
No problem at all, you are within the upper and lower limits on the tensioner. If its in that zone no additional wear or slippage will occur.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is the coolant reservoir empty?

Good eye on the reservoir!! I had drained and replaced the coolant a month or so ago, and forgot to refill.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No problem at all, you are within the upper and lower limits on the tensioner. If its in that zone no additional wear or slippage will occur.

Perfect, thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back