Fuel dilution subsiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering (wandering lol) if you go on a road trip and then, for argument's sake, idled for a few hours and loaded the sump with fuel dilution, then took another road trip. Would the fuel burn off and not show in an UOA, or could it stay the rest of the OCI until new oil replaced the contaminated oil?

thanks

20 minutes idle time 5x week in winter (30-40deg) morning for months, UOA was done after a shot while on the freeway, some city (wife going shopping) and then idle for another 20 min or so while i cleaned up the garage and got supplies to do the OC. UOA showed no trace of fuel.

My Harley is a prime example: 30 seconds after I start the bike the oil will stink of gas. Come to a destination and the smell is gone. Ccv takes care of that. Spill gas on the ground and count the seconds it takes to disappear. Now heat it to 100 and try again ( please don't, but you get the point)

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Im just wondering can fuel dilution go away.

you won't get any on hot idle anyway.

but yes, gas dilution can go away, but diesel fuel dilution not.

As Jetronic said, yes, components of the gasoline will 'go away.'

If you want decent fuel dilution info, you need to find a lab that will do fuel content via GC. Might as well ask for closed-cup flash point while you're at it. Just remember that this is all for entertainment, not to save money on your personal vehicle(s). :)

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My Harley is a prime example: 30 seconds after I start the bike the oil will stink of gas. Come to a destination and the smell is gone. Ccv takes care of that. Spill gas on the ground and count the seconds it takes to disappear. Now heat it to 100 and try again ( please don't, but you get the point)

Oh, from the rich running cold start. And then on your jaunt it 'burns off' and the sump is clean and clear again.

But as was said, 'components of fuel' go away. So, maybe it changes the oil and is why H-D like 5k changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back