What can you live without on your autos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my buick, 2005 LeSabre , heated seats, they are nice, but they are bixxxch to fix and adjustable rear shocks, what a waste of money,,they go out and the pump motor....the rest, ok so far.
coffee2.gif

Fog lights, both are cracked probably from a pebble on the highway or salt rocks from a flying salt truck also on the hwy. I saw it coming from behind but didn't want to go any faster with it being so slippery out. I'm tempted to replace them with the plastic covers that come on base models.

I'd say my 82 Mercedes 300cd is about right content wise. Sure, advancements in components are nice, but that car is about perfect in terms of conveniences and content.

I'll say that I'm spoiled by keyless entry and Bluetooth (or whatever it is) keys. Backup cameras are nice for parallel parking, but none of those things are all that necessary.

Advancements in technologies for any one thing (engine, materials, hvac, etc) have improved and certainly are welcome. But all the fancy junk is too much IMO.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Sync, I hate it and it doesn't work well at all.
Originally Posted By: John_K
All the infotainment [censored]! Give me a CD player and radio, I can download at home!
mad.gif

Agree. Except my daughter 2014 Accord which I don't know how to use and never touch it when I drove her car, my cars have no such thing as "infotainment", and I am glad I don't have to deal with it.

Which features I can live without ? Heated anything (seats, steering, mirrors ...), 20-way power seats, auto sensing wiper, auto headlight, auto climate control ... anything auto. I like to control anything myself.

Radio display light. On or Off, no dimming to desired brightness, so I usually have the backlight off.
Eco light in the instrument cluster (bright green), so I turn off the Eco.
To many icons in the instrument cluster - some I don't know what they are.
To many buttons/switches on the steering wheel.
Floorboard cooling for the back passengers - I'd rather have it all to myself.
Fabric behind the back seats - back cargo area (SUV) grabs dog hair like glue.
Stupid little doughnut spare tire.
Review mirror in night mode has a weird stretched blurry something.

The massaging seats. They work OK but are not a necessity. The rest of the tech and whatnot I love and would not want to be without.

Easier to say what I can't live without...A/C, A/T, and power windows. Most all of the other options are fluff to me.

Last edited:
I have fond memories of my 1977 F100 that had no options, not even a radio. Manual steering, manual transmission, manual locks, manual windows, no power assist on the brakes. Basic stripped down pickup. It did have front disk brakes.

However, I would gladly take the same but with electonic fuel injection, electronic ignition, power brakes, and power steering, CD player, and a radio with simple controls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back