INDIANA CCW PISTOL INFORMATION?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi:
I haven't had a gun in some time. I live in the west side of Indianapolis. I would appreciate a little review about obtaining a ccw, perhaps a local contact with FFL if I buy (probably) a Tarus out of state, and perhaps a cheap local range. I actually live semi close to the indoor range at Rockville and Dan Jones, but know nothing about it. AND, as discussed elsewhere, a few foundation lessons may be nice. ALSO: Any local (Indiana) relevant web sites? My background: W/M/60'S, neither rich nor poor, just like a little enhancement for a modest self defense improvement. BITOG always have at least one competent person in the know, and very few flame wars. Thoughts?

If it's truly single purpose: concealed carry, then look at a single stack 9mm. I've shot, and really like, the Glock 43, Springfield XD-M or XD-S, Walther PPS or CCP.

You need to like your new gun enough to shoot it often. CCW isn't just about having the gun, it's about knowing that gun very, very well and being able to shoot it well. If you can't shoot it well at the range, then when you're under stress, and your fine motor skills degrade, and your hearing is blocked, and your thought process is hijacked by your amygdala, you'll have about zero chance of hitting anything with it.

Finally, take a class on CCW, even more important than shooting well is knowing when to shoot.

There are some really smart folks on BITOG who live in your fair state. Find them here: http://www.practicallyshooting.com

You should be able to read FFL reviews on google, just look for someone with a lot of reviews that are good and check for any bad ones, then call for their pricing. You should be able to find a cheap one if you look hard enough around $25

Check here for more info.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/SearchForFFL.aspx?st=Zip Code&sv=46074

I own a 9mm S&W M&P Shield and think its the perfect CCW gun. I can pocket carry it with the right pants and it's very comfortable on the belt for me.

I think the Shield is generally one of the most oft-recommended concealed carry weapons. They produce it in 9mm, .40S&W, and now also .45ACP. The 45 is a hair larger than the 9/40 versions (which are the same size). I own one in 9mm, and I REALLY enjoy shooting it. I've owned a number of 9mm pistols, and I've eventually sold them all except for the Shield. It's a keeper.

It's not quite as small as an LC9 or a Glock 43, nor as light as either. The drawbacks are obvious if you're trying to conceal. The advantages include more comfortable range time and more controlability. The recoil impulse feels very flat, and feels like the gun pushes back at you rather than flipping up into the air. It really is a very pleasant shooter -- it's often noted to be one of the (or THE) most comfortable single stack 9mm to shoot that you can buy.

I wear mine on my belt, and usually in a close outside-the-waistband holster (usually abbreviated as OWB) under a jacket or other over garment.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You should be able to read FFL reviews on google, just look for someone with a lot of reviews that are good and check for any bad ones, then call for their pricing. You should be able to find a cheap one if you look hard enough around $25

Check here for more info.

http://www.gunbroker.com/FFL/SearchForFFL.aspx?st=Zip Code&sv=46074

I own a 9mm S&W M&P Shield and think its the perfect CCW gun. I can pocket carry it with the right pants and it's very comfortable on the belt for me.

+1 I found a FFL right in my neighborhood on there. He charges me $25 and is a real nice guy and veteran. For CCW I use a S&W jframe revolver or ruger LC9s or LCP.

@bmwjohn, to get a CCW, which in Indiana is a carry permit whether open or concealed, you will need to go to your local county sheriff's office, fill out a form and pay the fee. The permit is for lifetime, no training or knowledge about firearms is necessary. I believe the fee is around $120. It's up to you to learn the carry rules because the sheriff's office doesn't provide any information.

for training, check these guys out. there are a couple more places in Indy.

http://www.tactical-firearms.com/

if you look at the course descriptions, you'll see some quite comprehensive preparation. These are not some yahoos telling you to get a gun for self defense, and cover the law, the mindset implications of carrying, and also the legal and psychological after effects of a violent encounter.

Thanks for the info. Gotten a lot of confusion on line so far. I went to IN. GOV state site, which sent me to gun permits which is state police section of state web, where I filled out forms, paid $75 for lifetime permit, than went to commercial site via link from State Police, they directed me to Morpheos? private firm where nearest site was in neighboring county (Hendricks - Brownsburg) and about $12.00 done IN the Brownsburg Police Station but NOT NOT NOT by any police agency. Just a side room with old lady part time private employee - made appointment on line - and got digital on line fingerprints sent back to State Police. I then got a sheet of 2"x3" paper filled out by hand to take to "local law enforcement". Apparently the only of several Indpls Marion County Police offices (my county) to take it is City County Building downtown ($14 parking) and unclear if cash, m.o. or cashiers check will work ($50). Called I-MCPD non emergency dispatcher, said didn't know, ask any policeman, called police substation, they didn't know but must go downtown, etc. payment method unclear. I'll let everybody know. Half slick and digital, second half mass confusion.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I think the Shield is generally one of the most oft-recommended concealed carry weapons. They produce it in 9mm, .40S&W, and now also .45ACP. The 45 is a hair larger than the 9/40 versions (which are the same size). I own one in 9mm, and I REALLY enjoy shooting it. I've owned a number of 9mm pistols, and I've eventually sold them all except for the Shield. It's a keeper.

It's not quite as small as an LC9 or a Glock 43, nor as light as either. The drawbacks are obvious if you're trying to conceal. The advantages include more comfortable range time and more controlability. The recoil impulse feels very flat, and feels like the gun pushes back at you rather than flipping up into the air. It really is a very pleasant shooter -- it's often noted to be one of the (or THE) most comfortable single stack 9mm to shoot that you can buy.

I wear mine on my belt, and usually in a close outside-the-waistband holster (usually abbreviated as OWB) under a jacket or other over garment.

I had a 9mm Shield a few years back, I shot it well but it had the worst trigger of any handgun I've ever handled. It was gritty and heavy, I sold it after putting ~1K rounds through it, I hated shooting it. I also had issues with the recoil spring/guide rod on mine after ~800 rounds, I can't recommend that pistol.

Anyways, i'd ask around the local ranges what they offer for classes.

Last edited:
System staggered so start again. I have not gotten the CCW back yet BUT I think the paperwork is completed. The private firm digitized ALL my fingerprints in adjacent county and sent to state police. I then went to the ONLY Marion Cty. Indianapolis location, paid large parking bill near City County building, went to police wing, got my fingerprints digitized AGAIN, they don't do ALL the fingerprints, just both thumbs and index fingers, so different than state police, they took the $50 wal-mart money order but would also take MC and Visa cards, AND, I think e-check with $1 service charge. State police form and web page said keep a copy of printout, NOBODY wanted it, Brownsburg private co. gave me a 3x5 sheet of paper with pencil numbers written on, said to keep, NOBODY wanted to see that either. Anyway, I'll know next week if there is a problem, and get back. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Huie83

I had a 9mm Shield a few years back, I shot it well but it had the worst trigger of any handgun I've ever handled. It was gritty and heavy, I sold it after putting ~1K rounds through it, I hated shooting it. I also had issues with the recoil spring/guide rod on mine after ~800 rounds, I can't recommend that pistol.

My shield 9mm is a late 2015 build date and the trigger is very nice about 6.5 lbs and breaks pretty clean, at least compared to my Sigma.

They have improved them since the first run and the new 45 shield has an even further improvement in the trigger department.

It's pretty much the most popular single stack 9mm still as evidence by it being the top 5 gun sold by volume on Budsgunshop

well my Indiana CCW lifetime protection permit just arrived. what was interesting was the lack of correct and readily available information. I had to go to TWO different places to get TWO different types of computer digitized fingerprints, one for STATE POLICE, the other for Indianapolis police. Pay state police on line, pay Indianapolis police in person. Total cost with parking, etc. around $150. just fyi. Now looking for mail order source, thinking 2 Taurus 9mm or perhaps a Smith M&P 9MM Shield and the similar Smith 22 to try to upgrade skills with cheaper ammo. Someone had sources on here for good i-net purchase and then get local to process paperwork so looking again and not decided yet. Thanks!

Self defense with firearms is a layered approach.

For a CCW, you really have to commit to carry it every day. Do you were your seat belt some days, most days, or all days? Do you know when you might get into a car crash? So rule number 1, is to have a gun. And the best way to have a gun, is to purchase a smaller gun, that you can comfortably carry every day. Yes some folks conceal carry full size duty pistols every day, but they would be the exception rather than the norm. One that you can always have on you. Glock 42/43, Taurus TCP, Ruger LCP, Smith 442/642 size pistols would be a good start.

You'll want to use that pistol for home defense once you get it. Problem is, smaller conceal carry pistols are less than ideal for home defense. They are not that accurate, and not that powerful. Best course of action is a long gun. If on a budget, save $200 and get you a pump action shotgun. 20 gauge or 12 gauge Mossberg, Remington, or Benelli.

Not finished yet. Backing up your home defense long gun should be a full size service pistol. Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM or Glock 17 size pistol. High capacity, powerful.

That is MY bare bones minimum.

1) small pistol for conceal carry
2) long gun for home defense. Shotgun or self loading rifle
3) full size duty pistol for the nightstand

It should go without saying, that a gun is a tool. The person wielding it is the actual weapon. A gun in untrained hands is a liability. So take a few classes, get some training. A $500 defensive pistol class could be the best $500 you ever spent in your entire life if the knowledge gained in that class saves your life some day.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Self defense with firearms is a layered approach.

For a CCW, you really have to commit to carry it every day. Do you were your seat belt some days, most days, or all days? Do you know when you might get into a car crash? So rule number 1, is to have a gun. And the best way to have a gun, is to purchase a smaller gun, that you can comfortably carry every day. Yes some folks conceal carry full size duty pistols every day, but they would be the exception rather than the norm. One that you can always have on you. Glock 42/43, Taurus TCP, Ruger LCP, Smith 442/642 size pistols would be a good start.

You'll want to use that pistol for home defense once you get it. Problem is, smaller conceal carry pistols are less than ideal for home defense. They are not that accurate, and not that powerful. Best course of action is a long gun. If on a budget, save $200 and get you a pump action shotgun. 20 gauge or 12 gauge Mossberg, Remington, or Benelli.

Not finished yet. Backing up your home defense long gun should be a full size service pistol. Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM or Glock 17 size pistol. High capacity, powerful.

That is MY bare bones minimum.

1) small pistol for conceal carry
2) long gun for home defense. Shotgun or self loading rifle
3) full size duty pistol for the nightstand

It should go without saying, that a gun is a tool. The person wielding it is the actual weapon. A gun in untrained hands is a liability. So take a few classes, get some training. A $500 defensive pistol class could be the best $500 you ever spent in your entire life if the knowledge gained in that class saves your life some day.

^^^ what he said^^^

Glad you got the Indiana License to Carry Handgun (LTCH) resolved. Three years ago when I went through the process, I went to my local PD, got fingerprinted on their electronic scanner, and submitted my application along with two money orders (one for the local PD and one for the state). Back then, the wait was seemingly forever...about four months for me. The process has changed over the years and, as you discovered, the state controls part of the process and your local law enforcement agency controls another part.

There are several gun dealers on the west side: Plainfield Shooters Supply in Plainfield; Grey Wolf, Fort Liberty, and Parabellum in Avon; Premier in Brownsburg; Bradis in Camby. There used to be a store in Clermont, but it closed. And, there's Don's Guns at 38th and Lafayette, but I've never been in there.

Parabellum in Avon near US 36 and Dan Jones Rd is also an indoor range. It's a decent range with fair prices. They do offer several classes.

Unless you have previous firearms experience, I highly recommend that you get some training. I started out with the Intro to Firearms at Parabellum. The provide Smith & Wesson M&P 22 pistols for that class. It's a .22 Long Rifle pistol that works like a full-size semi-auto pistol so it's good training for a beginner without a lot of recoil issues.

Parabellum also offers what they call 9mm Smorgasborg. The range has 14 lanes and they lay out a different 9mm pistol in each lane. You pay your money, they give you a box of ammo and a target, and you can shoot whatever pistol you want.

Welcome to shooting!

Great choice on getting your Indiana License as a lifetime permit. if you ever move to another state your Indiana license remains valid in Indiana as long as you notify the state police of an address change.

I called and talked to the firearms license division of ISP and my lifetime license is still valid for carry in Indiana with my Ohio address. That is very cool. Since my residence is now in Ohio I took the Ohio CCW class today to get my permit here. Although Ohio accepts Indiana licenses it is a grey area on weather I can carry in Ohio still with my Indiana permit. I've asked Ohio officers and called the county and they said that technically I "should" get an Ohio CCW as well to rule out any "grey areas".

I haven't carried in Ohio since I moved here six months ago as I don't want to flirt the line, however I do un-box my firearm and ammo and put out on a holster as soon as I cross into Indiana if i'm going to visit family for the weekend. I will be glad when I finish the process here in Ohio.

I miss the Hoosier state. Such a great state for the freedom to bear arms.

back to weapons choice. it is essential to get training and experience with a variety of weapons. my first private handgun was a 2" barrel taurus model 85 steel 38sp. it is heavy enough to absorb recoil and compact enough to be a ccw. practice with speedoaders makes fast reloads and as a revolver it never hiccups. next up i would get a 22 for plinking: either a ruger sr22 or a ruger single six 22lr/wmr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back