My coolant temps too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Ford Focus

The engine light is off, and there are no stored DTC. I can read coolant temp inputs to the computer via the digital odometer. The thermostat appears to open at 89 or 90c. In the afternoon and mostly high speeds the coolant temp varies 90-93c.

And 88c-92c at slower speeds later in the evening.

1. Is this variance normal?
2. Are these temps too low?

88c = 190f
90c = 194f
93c = 199f

Thank you for answers and opinions!

Do you remember the old days, when gauges moved over a normal range? Then people freaked out and computers started deadening displays.

It's normal. There's some distance between your t-stat and your sensor, so under different operating conditions you get more or less coolant flow, which means more or less heat was gained/ lost between the sensor and the 'stat.

I used to have a dodge that showed *lower* temps under heavier loads like trucking up hills, because the sensor was near the water pump/ inlet from radiator vs the stat/outlet.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Thanks!
I'm sorry I posted in the wrong forum.

"Right where it should be. How much hotter do you want it to run?
Z400 Lucas 10w30
KLR250 Maxima 10w40
Can am maveric delo 5w40"

Before I posted I read normal coolant temp is 215-230f.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Not for your Focus. Looking up the factory Thermostat shows opening temperature as 88C

Yes, that was for another make. In that post 215 - 230f are temps that cooling fans turn on, and then switch to high speed.

In trying to solve poor fuel economy issue I decided to look at my coolant temps. The digital odometer displays several inputs to the computer.

Pressing the button will now cycle through some 17 different modes

* 1.Shows a Gauge Sweep
* 2. Shows all 8's on the LCD (LCD TEST)
* 3. Illuminates all the bulbs on the dash
* 4. Displays hexadecimal value for ROM level
* 5. Displays the hexadecimal value for EE level
* 6. Shows DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code)
* 7. Digital Speedometer - mph
* 8. Digital Speedometer - kph
* 9. N/A
* 10. Digital tachometer
* 11.Fuel volume
* 12. Engine coolant temperature
* 13. Battery voltage
* 14. ABS fail
* 15. Electronic brake distribution (EBD) failure
* 16. Illumination
* 17. Crank Sense

Do you see another mode I should be watching?

Most modern NA engines have a thermostat opening temperature of about 90C so your's is working fine. Having the temperature rise somewhat is normal. When moving, the amount of heat the radiator dissipates determines how much higher the engine temperature can become. When not moving, engine temperature is determined by how much air the fans can move.

Most t-stats now have a range they are speced at. The initial number is when they start to open and there should be an upper number where they are fully open.

Also some aftermarket t-stats may not fully block off the bypass when fully open.

That new of a car will throw a code if it is running to cold such as the stat sticking open for to long. The 2004 grand marquis we had did.

Looks normal.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
That new of a car will throw a code if it is running to cold such as the stat sticking open for to long. The 2004 grand marquis we had did.

Looks normal.

Better to get a code than to have a car that never resets its I/M monitors after a new battery, and one's left thinking the computer's a spaz.

Originally Posted By: jorton

In trying to solve poor fuel economy issue I decided to look at my coolant temps. The digital odometer displays several inputs to the computer.

Obviously I'm not good at tracing engine problems!
I think I have cured poor fuel economy, and other drivability symptoms. Rough idle, hesitation and a stumble. Finally had a check engine light with dtc p0302 so I was able to swap coils on the bad cylinder. Replaced one coil with a $9 junk yard unit and all symptoms are gone. Compared to the coils in my car the jy unit looks like new. I would have bought all 4 coils but 2 were damaged.

I went a long time with these annoying symptoms because the cel didn't illuminate. In the future I won't wait for the light to r&r the three remaining coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back