63 and looking for a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't panic, I've got a couple to choose from.

Last friday we were warned the doors might be closing, today it was confirmed and I got my notice of reduncancy. I got a job offer on tuesday, and another this friday.

They are closing the doors here, shame as they have been on this site since the late '50's. I worked here for over 5 years, then left to work somewhere much more interesting. The week I started the owner collapsed, spent some time in hospital and was told he wasn't going to last long if he carried on as he did. So the place was on the market, and if he didn't sell it would be shut down. He didn't slow down, and sabotaged any potential sales...but I still felt insecure. After a couple of years some people I didn't want to work with in the previous place left, so I went back with a new team, but didn't dodge the bullet. My old job is closing down finally, and now this place too. Looks like my destiny was to be looking for work at this time no matter what.

On monday we were told what was going down, and final decision would be friday. On tuesday I had a job offer at the local motorcycle shop. I've worked there before too, but is now under a new owner, and really going strong, showroom and yard full of ATV's and UTV's. Today an interview at a workshop in a small town 20km away, doing similar work to the last rural workshop I was in.

So, work in town with a 3km commute by car or pushbike, Honda ATV, UTV and farmbike work, light work for someone my age, interesting, but not much variety. Things I will miss are being able to get parts, do safety checks and work on my cars. Or commute 20km on open roads to another town, do a wider variety of work (cars, 4x4's, ATV's, farm equipment etc)and be able to put my car up on the hoist to change a fuel filter, or order and fit my own tyres. As a mechanic I hate taking my cars somewhere to get people to do things I can do myself.

The rural garage is always advertising for mechanics...why? Location is a big part of course. Gossip says both owners are major A holes to work for, they seemed very pleasant to me. The last guy I worked for was the most difficult person I've had to deal with, a hard line work ethic and micro manager...and I now consider him a friend.

I have to decide by monday...I should've got back to the bike shop today, could be pushing my luck.

A garage owner that's meticulous? Shucks, wouldn't mind one of those around here...
smile.gif

Sorry to hear of your job situation. I've had to look for work when the companies I have worked for, closed down. I have never been as fortunate of being offered jobs and had to job search myself which, was harder than working.

I wish you the best of luck in your job search and decision making for new employment. Keep us posted on your decision.

Originally Posted By: Silk

The rural garage is always advertising for mechanics...why? Location is a big part of course. Gossip says both owners are major A holes to work for, they seemed very pleasant to me. The last guy I worked for was the most difficult person I've had to deal with, a hard line work ethic and micro manager...and I now consider him a friend.

The reason they are always looking for mechanics is likely that people can't stand working there, not the location. If multiple people have told you they are A-holes to work for, take it seriously. A lot of people can be pleasant when they want to put of a front. It could be a lot more than work ethic and micro-managing. I would take that information VERY seriously. You don't want to be looking again in a few months.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what is a pushbike?

A bicycle, you know with pedals and a little bell.

Silk, a long and happy life to you. I hesitate to give advice as it is an important decision.

I can see the interest in the country town, with more diverse work and a hoist.

When do you plan to retire ? No need to answer, but consider that the bike shop is close and doing well. Maybe at some stage you could semi-retire and only work part time. The work is light and easy and close buy.

Make friends with a guy with a hoist, swap him some home brew or something.

I'd be tempted to take the job with the longer commute. Sounds more like what you wanted. I don't know how your economy fluctuates but I'd think a place that services all sorts of vehicles, including farm equipment, is more apt to keep going if things slow down. While I'd think a place geared more towards recreational vehicles might do great in good times and not so great in bad times. [Just my read on how you described the places.] Of course, you could always commute for a few years then change jobs again.

Unless if you wanted to slow down and take life easier / in a different direction. Bike to work, do what is necessary, bike home, and do something else of interest to keep the gray matter active. I can see the temptation to do that.

The Mitsubishi dealer is closing down? Wow! "What's a pushbike?" Seriously? Anyway,I reckon take the job at the bike shop - close to home,and a bit of a change. You don't need the heavy lifting that goes along with 4WD's and tractors at 63...I get the whole working on your own car thing,but you'll find a way around it. I was a mechanic for 11 years,then totally changed careers,and losing the free workshop facilities weighed heavily on my mind. Turned out not to be a big deal. You can do a lot with a jack and 4 stands!

A few beers over the weekend and a nice motorbike ride (not at the same time!), then toss a coin mate...either way, the money will keep rolling in and life will go on! Oh and of course,take into account Mrs Silk's opinions on the subject too!

Last edited:
For what it's worth I stopped working at 53. It was something of a leap into the dark at the time but seven years on, I now look back at it being one of the more sensible decisions I've made in my life.
Don't get me wrong. I used to love what I did but some the people I had to work with were truly vile! You would think that education and having a degree or PhD would make you a nicer person. In my experience it just makes some people feel more superior and behave more ruthlessly in pursuit of money, position and power.

Originally Posted By: hpb
"What's a pushbike?" Seriously?

Two countries separated by a common language.

I don't think I would consider it "pushing down" but I guess it is. Mostly I consider it "pedaling" so I could see calling it a "pedal bike" or "pedaling bike", so as to distinguish against a Razor--which is what I'd think is really a "pushbike" as you push with your feet. Quick google search brings up a bunch of push bikes that lack pedals.

Terminology and semantics. A bicycle is just a two wheeled vehicle; but obviously it's split into many kinds: self powered with either pedals or not, motorized, and motorized with pedals (aka moped).

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: hpb
"What's a pushbike?" Seriously?

Two countries separated by a common language.

I don't think I would consider it "pushing down" but I guess it is. Mostly I consider it "pedaling" so I could see calling it a "pedal bike" or "pedaling bike", so as to distinguish against a Razor--which is what I'd think is really a "pushbike" as you push with your feet. Quick google search brings up a bunch of push bikes that lack pedals.

Terminology and semantics. A bicycle is just a two wheeled vehicle; but obviously it's split into many kinds: self powered with either pedals or not, motorized, and motorized with pedals (aka moped).

Exactly, if you google "push bike" here in the US, we get many photos that look as follows:

Push.jpg

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
what is a pushbike?

No wonder the rest of the world is full of dragons that need to be pre-emptively slayed...

Is it that easy to find a job at 63 in NZ?

Here in the states a 63 year old person will have a hard time finding suitable employment. With all the young bucks lined up for the best paying jobs, and the foreign invasion lined up behind them that will work for 1/2 the pay, a 60+ years old person job outlook is very dim here in the US.

In most 'Commonwealth' (read: ex-British Empire)countries it's a 'pushbike.'

If they are always advertising, and rumour (with a u) has it they are arseholes, they probably are.

3 km sounds less stressful than 20 km, at any age.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Is it that easy to find a job at 63 in NZ?

Here in the states a 63 year old person will have a hard time finding suitable employment. With all the young bucks lined up for the best paying jobs, and the foreign invasion lined up behind them that will work for 1/2 the pay, a 60+ years old person job outlook is very dim here in the US.

+100- I lost my job almost 2 years ago when I was 60. I designed kitchens, baths, offices, etc, worked there for 10 years and loved the work. I've been on many interviews since, I was careful not to put any thing in the resume that gave my age away. In all but one interview as soon as they saw me you could see it in their face, "oh, he's not in his 30's". I've decided to freelance design and really looking forward to it, constantly different and the work flexibility. I guess "I'm too old to rock and roll but too young to die", the great Jethro Tull, 1976
grin.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
In the US, the only job you are going to get at 63 or older is:
greeter.jpg

It's sad but true it seems. "Welcome to Walmart, now get your s**t and get the h*ll out of here", hat tip to "Walter"
grin.gif

Whimsey

20KM is like 10 miles right? So that ain't even a commute... Commutes here are hours long and 50 miles minimum
frown.gif

I'd take any job within a 50KM radious that was interesting, paid decent and had benefits. Jeez, I have to have time to drink my morning beverage (tea, cocoa, whatever) and eat a donut en route. I also need to see the hills and the weather and get my head set for the day. Unless I was walking or riding a pedal bike, I would not have time...

I tried eating a donut and drinking on a pedal bike once - didn't work
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back