Is it a Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any real mechanical benefit to periodically flushing a diesel engine (other than it make the flusher feel like they're accomplishing something
smile.gif
)

I've have heard drain the engine hot then pour a couple of quarts of cheap oil through it. Seems like that would only flush the oil path to the crankcase and the bottom of crankcase leaving a lot of surfaces untouched.

Seems like a good magnetic drain plug would accomplish more.

I question the wisdom of running anything in a turbo diesel that dilutes the oil for anytime because of bearing surfaces etc.

So what say ye?

The "flush" of clean oil is waste of oil, time, and money in my opinion. There are people who do it. A magnetic drain plug is a good idea.

Last edited:
The only oil that would get flushed out is some of the oil that sits in the oil pan that didn't drain out,unless you turn it on and let it circulate,then drain again. Why even do all that? The hdeo has a lot of detergents and additives in the oil.

For the amount of oil left in all the other areas of that engine all you are doing is using that engine as a funnel to pour good oil into a drain pan.

Only if the system was contaminated by foreign material...brain [censored] caused antifreeze to be poured into the engine, etc. Otherwise, save the oil. Drain, change filter, refill, drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back