Shopping for brand-new F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: old1
I have a good friend that recently got one with the 4 cyl. eco boast. He really likes itt and is impressed with the power. Says he is surprised that it gets better gas mileage around town than on the highway.

No such thing as a 4 cylinder F350 Eco boost.

Correct. However I did recently drive the Expedition with the Ecoboost and was very impressed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dman4384
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I only looked quickly so I could be wrong, but I need to tow 6000-7000 pounds and the EB engines can't tow that much... so I would need a 5.0

Actually the 3.5 ecoboost with the 3.55 will tow close to 12,000 lbs. The absolute peak towing is achieved with the 3.5 EB.

I've owned both. A 2011 5.0 and now I have a 2016 3.5EB. The 3.5 is MUCH faster and tows much more. The 3.5 is all around much for fun to drive and tows best.

BUT! The 3.5 dilutes the engine oil like mad with fuel. I'm sure it'll be fine before I trade it in at around 100k. But if I were going to longevity, I would give up the perkiness and few hundreds lbs of towing capacity and go with the 5.0

My understanding is that the 3.5 is meant for occasional towing, and not day-in/day-out towing. According to Ford, that is (hashed out in some other thread here). The 3.5 was meant to cover the bases for most half-ton users (some hauling, some towing, lots of empty cruising--and the occasional stomp). Probably hair-splitting for the op who likely isn't towing every day.

I have to laugh at all the posts about how the 5.0 is a simple engine so it will last longer.

Sorry folks, this is no pushrod 2v per cylinder V8 engine...it is nearly as complex as the 3.5 and 2.7

It is a 4v, double overhead cam, aluminum block and head(s) engine. It has a long timing chain that will (and has for years on Ford's modular engines) have stretch and tensioner issues. Yes it doesn't have turbos which add a little complexity but do not lead to catastrophic failures (these are not 1980's turbo engines, they hold up just fine). But as is par with 4v normally aspirated engines you have to wind them up to get the power. I've driven the same exact model F150 with the 5.0 and 3.5 EB and it isn't even a contest. The 3.5 EB will out accelerate and out pull the 5.0 any day of the week. That's not saying the 5.0 is a bad engine, it does just fine where it belongs in a Mustang. But unless the rumor of turbo charging it comes true (possibly for the 2018 Raptor) the 3.5 EB is a far superior truck engine.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: dman4384
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I only looked quickly so I could be wrong, but I need to tow 6000-7000 pounds and the EB engines can't tow that much... so I would need a 5.0

Actually the 3.5 ecoboost with the 3.55 will tow close to 12,000 lbs. The absolute peak towing is achieved with the 3.5 EB.

I've owned both. A 2011 5.0 and now I have a 2016 3.5EB. The 3.5 is MUCH faster and tows much more. The 3.5 is all around much for fun to drive and tows best.

BUT! The 3.5 dilutes the engine oil like mad with fuel. I'm sure it'll be fine before I trade it in at around 100k. But if I were going to longevity, I would give up the perkiness and few hundreds lbs of towing capacity and go with the 5.0

My understanding is that the 3.5 is meant for occasional towing, and not day-in/day-out towing. According to Ford, that is (hashed out in some other thread here). The 3.5 was meant to cover the bases for most half-ton users (some hauling, some towing, lots of empty cruising--and the occasional stomp). Probably hair-splitting for the op who likely isn't towing every day.

A friend has the 3.5 and uses the truck in his construction business towing a heavily loaded trailer. He claims it out tows his 2002 F 250 with the 5.4. Has had it for several years and no problems with the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back