FCA to produce no *cars* in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Really? BMW, MB etc. are very profitable. Unions here are piece of cake compare to those in Germany and they are still profitable.
When VW was deciding to open factory between Huntsville, AL and Chattanooga, TN reason why they choose TN is better education, and they even pushed for UAW to unionize their workers. The State of TN was the one who jumped and said NO!
So that [censored] about unions you can sell to someone else.

Ford and GM are profitable as well. FCA is as well. But they have heavy union presence and that has a cost. They also have lots of commitments to their past workers (healthcare/pensions) that a lot of these other manufacturers don't have. Also the contracts they have with the unions. I'm sure Ford, GM, FCA would love to open a non-union shop somewhere in the USA but there is a reason they don't have any. I doubt it's simply "cheap labor".

I'd not use VW as an example of working well in the USA. Look up Westmoreland: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Westmoreland_Assembly

Chattanooga voted to go union. It will be interesting to watch as a quick Google search seems that there is turmoil with the vote as well as VW's recognizing of the UAW.

Of course it has a cost. They have prior commitments? Well yeah. Only here in this country we argue how wages should be up, but we do not want unions, we want right to work states who by they way are what? at forefront of standard of living?
So no problems, if GM, Ford and FCA do not want to owe pensions, healthcare etc. we go to universal single payer HC system, pension system similar like in Germany etc.
Or we just take all benefits from workers but still claim how we want best from them.
Unions are not problem. [censored] products are.

How many of their own "brothers and sisters" did the UAW sell out by keeping quiet when Ford and GM started moving production of U.S. market vehicles to other countries? How many more jobs would we have if american companies made their U.S. products in the U.S.?

If it weren't for the unions, more jobs would have left the US.

Originally Posted By: Win
Originally Posted By: whip
Chrysler is screwed if gas prices go back up. You'd think they'd learn from the past.

U.S. energy producers have clearly established that they can flood the market with oil at a relatively modest per bbl price, so it's hard to see how the per bbl price can go above that threshold for long. The drill rigs will go back in service and the oil patches will thrive, unless politics keeps them shut down.

Texas Oil Has Fought Saudi Arabia to a standstill

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
If it weren't for the unions, more jobs would have left the US.

And they acheived that by not making so much as a peep about those that did leave?

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: ToadU
I said Cummins was junk for my application.

The Ford 6.0s over 20 of them. Had the 6.4 too. We didn't have any major issues with them. The 6.0 was no 7.3 but all of my wrecker Diesel engines are derated power wise so a lot of the problems found in the 250 / 350s were greatly reduced in the 450 / 550 / 650 chassis. Also when I had the 6.0s thr EPA regulation wasn't a draconian as today.

All diesels have many problems in my applications which is why I have switched to gas. I have (1) lone diesel in the fleet after after college football season it will be sold.

Take a Cummins 6.7 and try running it nearly 24/7 in town never getting over 40-45mph--never driven on the hwy ever--and idling it for hours and hours and hours at a time. See how many turbo problems, crankcase ventilation filters, emissions sensors / problems and DPF filter problems you have. Junk junk junk for my applications.

Even the owners manuals say not to idle modern diesels. I need an engine to idle.

Take a Cummins and put it on a rig or chassis that sees highway miles most of its life and little to zero idling and you have a [censored] fine engine.

got it, emissions delete for the 6.7 would have fixed most of that. a shame.

You think a commercial entity can install emissions-defeating devices without consequences? Or were you just saying in context if another non-commercial user had a 6.7 themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back