Cruze Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Auto Blog ( Didn't know this- cheating?)

The 1.6-liter diesel engine is already used in the Opel Astra, a mechanical twin to the new Cruze, where it makes up to 158 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Transferring the same engine, or a version of it, to the Cruze should only require some modifications to meet regulations. While GM preps a new Cruze Diesel for the US, it's also worth mentioning it's facing a class-action suit that accuses GM of installing cheat devices on first-gen Cruze Diesels and is demanding the company pay $2,000 to owners. GM said it will "vigorously defend itself" against the "baseless" allegations.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

The 1.6-liter diesel engine is already used in the Opel Astra, a mechanical twin to the new Cruze, where it makes up to 158 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. Transferring the same engine, or a version of it, to the Cruze should only require some modifications to meet regulations. While GM preps a new Cruze Diesel for the US, it's also worth mentioning it's facing a class-action suit that accuses GM of installing cheat devices on first-gen Cruze Diesels and is demanding the company pay $2,000 to owners. GM said it will "vigorously defend itself" against the "baseless" allegations.

1.6ltr has to meet Euro6 and it is using AdBlue in Europe in order to meet Euro6, so meeting current NoX requirements in the U.S. is not a problem.
On other hand, when it comes to old 2.0ltr diesel, I am not sure does it have SCR system? If not, yeah they cheated.

What exactly do these cheat actions do, and why would they owe $2000/owner for it?

I hope GM does a severe lawsuit against the lawyers orchestrating this, who are probably also making $2000/owner.

Car senses when it is being tested for emissions compliance and goes into super clean mode, and reverts to dirty mode after testing.
How the car knows it is being tested when the following conditions are in place - scan tool is plugged into OBD port, front wheels are rolling (on a dyno) and rear wheels are stationary.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant

1.6ltr has to meet Euro6 and it is using AdBlue in Europe in order to meet Euro6, so meeting current NoX requirements in the U.S. is not a problem.
On other hand, when it comes to old 2.0ltr diesel, I am not sure does it have SCR system? If not, yeah they cheated.

the 1.6 is alledgedly a very large NOx cheater here in Europe, in the Zafira.

There's been 3 different 2.0 diesels in the cruze. a VM, a Daewoo and the last was a Fiat. So you'll need to double check which engine they're talking about.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Car senses when it is being tested for emissions compliance and goes into super clean mode, and reverts to dirty mode after testing.
How the car knows it is being tested when the following conditions are in place - scan tool is plugged into OBD port, front wheels are rolling (on a dyno) and rear wheels are stationary.

or much simpler: run in eco-mode for the duration of the test + 2 minutes after each start....

This is a civil suit and uses dubious "testing" performed by the plaintiffs as evidence. GM has not been implicated by the EPA or CARB as being out of compliance.

The same firm representing these plaintiffs also have a similar suit against Mercedes Benz, who, like GM, has not been implicated by the EPA or CARB.

Really misleading to call it a device... it's not like they're plugging a laptop in to modify things and permanently mounting it in a hidden place... it's software not hardware. You can't call software a "device"

Originally Posted By: horse123

Really misleading to call it a device... it's not like they're plugging a laptop in to modify things and permanently mounting it in a hidden place... it's software not hardware. You can't call software a "device"

I didn't use the word "device" in my comments.

Originally Posted By: horse123

I didn't use the word "device" in my comments.

I wasn't talking about your comment. I was talking about

Quote:

it's also worth mentioning it's facing a class-action suit that accuses GM of installing cheat devices on first-gen Cruze Diesels

Previous-gen Cruze Diesel used a VM Motori engine with urea injection. It was capable of crazy fuel economy, like 50+ mpg tanks in mostly highway driving, and 60+ mpg on longer trips.

This smells like a fishing expedition. At least right now.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Previous-gen Cruze Diesel used a VM Motori engine with urea injection. It was capable of crazy fuel economy, like 50+ mpg tanks in mostly highway driving, and 60+ mpg on longer trips.

This smells like a fishing expedition. At least right now.

I did not know it had SCR nor I assumed it did not.
But yeah, it smells like fishing expedition. Though, VW/Audi cheated on 3.0 V6 although it had SCR.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The US-market Cruze diesel is the VM Motori and uses urea

it's not a VM since 2011... GM engine until 2014 and Fiat since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back