Lexus CT200h - M1 - ~9.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is the UOA for a couple OCIs in my Lexus CT200h. The first report was using TGMO with a Toyota filter and was run mostly interstate, 35 mi one way, for work. The most recent UOA is running M1 0w20 and a M1 filter. The intermediate change was also M1 so the TGMO should be flushed out for this sample. During this cycle my wife has been driving the car and it sees a lot of in town driving with frequent idleing between her appointments. The actual mileage on this change is between 9,500 and 11,000 miles. The maintenance minder was not reset on time and the Trip ODO I use to track oil time was reset mid way through the OCI. Overall, everything looks great and the car should keep rolling for a long time.

ve6783.png

Last edited:
I remember someone on here claiming that hybrids should change their oil more often due to the engine turning off and on so often at stop lights or during stop and go driving as if that reduced the engine oil life or caused additional wear. This seems to prove that theory wrong. I'm not really surprised given that the engine will likely be warm when the additional starts occur and the fact the electrical motors are providing much of the power to initially get the car moving.

M1 0W20 definitely shows low numbers. One hopes it's due to low wear, rather than some other reason.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl
M1 0W20 definitely shows low numbers. One hopes it's due to low wear, rather than some other reason.

FWIW: even with my wife driving and having no knowledge of fuel efficient driving the car is just ahead of the EPA ratings. Everything seems to be in order and no other issues to speak of. Just a good engine that has really low wear #s.

Originally Posted By: czbrian
I remember someone on here claiming that hybrids should change their oil more often due to the engine turning off and on so often at stop lights or during stop and go driving as if that reduced the engine oil life or caused additional wear. This seems to prove that theory wrong. I'm not really surprised given that the engine will likely be warm when the additional starts occur and the fact the electrical motors are providing much of the power to initially get the car moving.

Couple that to the fact that the engine is being started with the electric motor in a more gentle fashion than with a typical starter and it makes that much more sense.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Couple that to the fact that the engine is being started with the electric motor in a more gentle fashion than with a typical starter and it makes that much more sense.

Are you saying this engine is being started at a lower RPM or something?

FWIW: even with my wife driving and having no knowledge of fuel efficient driving the car is just ahead of the EPA ratings. Everything seems to be in order and no other issues to speak of. Just a good engine that has really low wear #s.

It returns low numbers in my Honda V6 as well. The item I raised goes to whether low numbers always and inherently = low wear, or whether low numbers may be due to something else, such as formulation chemistry, for example. One wishes the answer to this was more clear.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Are you saying this engine is being started at a lower RPM or something?

The computer system will have much more control over what speed the engine is started and when fueling is introduced. Think a typical car, the starter will spin the engine to well below idle speed and fueling will take over. The electric motor can time the engine perfectly to ensure no extra vibration or shudders when starting.

It is actually a weird feeling when the engine starts and you are at a stop. You feel the car lurch forward in park, something start spinning, and then hear the engine start running. Even then it is smooth enough that you don't feel the engine start.

The computer system will have much more control over what speed the engine is started and when fueling is introduced. Think a typical car, the starter will spin the engine to well below idle speed and fueling will take over. The electric motor can time the engine perfectly to ensure no extra vibration or shudders when starting.

It is actually a weird feeling when the engine starts and you are at a stop. You feel the car lurch forward in park, something start spinning, and then hear the engine start running. Even then it is smooth enough that you don't feel the engine start.

This feature is interesting ..... for engine endurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back