Time for some new headlamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving through Detroit on I-75 today when a retread (or maybe even tire, I'm not sure) smashed my van today. It hit several other cars, too, which is no good. Here's the damage:

[img:left][/img]

It must have gotten me just right because there were also rubber scuffs down the side of my vehicle. Thankfully they all buffed out just fine. The only real damage, aside from the busted headlamp, were a few small dents on my hood. Seeing as how my van constantly attracts flying debris and people love to hit it in parking lots, I really don't care all that much. It's my work vehicle, so...

I decided to replace both headlamps, even though the other one was still functional. Both had been badly faded for some time on the upper turn signal portion, and wetsanding only lasted a few months until Mr. Sun did damage once again. I got 2 CAPA certified units from RockAuto for $287 and change. This is a relatively uncommon vehicle so this type of part isn't cheap, and I don't want to mess with cheapo headlamps; been there, done that. eBay has a decent number of used OEM units, but the price was within $40/$50 of 2 new units, so I went that route. Be safe out there.

My dad hit one and it took out the black piece of plastic where fog lamp is normally located. Some black scuff marks and the outside temperature wasn't being displayed anymore. He brought it to the Toyota dealer service dept where it was pretty busy. They send him down the street to their body shop. The body shop looked at it and said he should go back to the service dept so he just went home.

So the next day he goes back to the service dept and they apologize about the mix up. They send him over to parts to buy the black piece of plastic which cost a few bucks. The tech removes the black scuffs and fixes the temp indicator probably by plugging it back in so total cost was only a few bucks for the missing part and no labor charge because of the run around.

I'd say that busted tire did you a favor.

Imagine how clear your headlights will work without that cloudy plastic in the way
banana2.gif

No after pics? You can always beef up the clear coat by applying some Wipe New or some of the wipe on clear that Sylvania sells on Amazon.

Sylvania

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
All you needed was some clear gorilla tape to make a homemade lens
smile.gif

Seems awfully expensive for aftermarket housings unless they are oem.

Yea, I'm not sure. Although OEM headlamp housings can easily be many hundreds of dollars. These units also have halogen projectors, which add cost, plus they have an internal harness for the high and low beams with an outer socket that feeds both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back