Experience with auto transport companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the subject says- any positive or negative experiences with a particular company in the continental US?

More detail: My daughter is relocating to the west coast for graduate school and will be taking her '99 Cherokee out there. All summer I've been tacitly planning to trailer it out behind my Ram, but I got to looking around and the typical cost for open transport (eg., Executive Auto Transport) is only about 30% more than getting the trailer ready for such a long trip plus the added fuel cost of towing. Combine that with getting rid of the hassle of dead-heading a rattling, pounding, bouncing, empty dovetail trailer back 1200 miles on the return leg, and it looks pretty dang appealing. That way my wife and I could relax and enjoy the return leg a bit more. Yes, we could just drive it also... but again there's the fuel + wear on the vehicle.

I used to get company cars this way. If you are flexible on when you can expect the car to the new destination they are fine to use. Their promise dates of a delivery are a joke. What happens is that they will get another request to pickup a car somewhere along the route to your daughter destination-they will reroute and pickup that car. This-will add delays as to when you can expect your daughters car.

If you can deal with that your OK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
I used to get company cars this way. If you are flexible on when you can expect the car to the new destination they are fine to use. Their promise dates of a delivery are a joke. What happens is that they will get another request to pickup a car somewhere along the route to your daughter destination-they will reroute and pickup that car. This-will add delays as to when you can expect your daughters car.

We're pretty flexible, as we are staying out there for a while to help her with getting settled. But what are we talking, maybe a 2-3 day window? My constraint is that they'll have to pick the car up before we leave with all the household goods, then it'll take us 2-1/2 to 3 days to get there, then I'll be around her new place for 5-6 days before heading back.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

We're pretty flexible, as we are staying out there for a while to help her with getting settled. But what are we talking, maybe a 2-3 day window? My constraint is that they'll have to pick the car up before we leave with all the household goods, then it'll take us 2-1/2 to 3 days to get there, then I'll be around her new place for 5-6 days before heading back.

Yes, around that.

Just beware of the transport consolidators on the internet who will quote you a good price but then can't find any transport company to serve you at that price. Also forget about accurate timetables. Actual pickup time and delivery time is a [censored] shoot. Three years ago I ended up driving my own car for the 800 mile trip after being stiffed on my pickup date.

Wifeys friend moved from PA to AZ last year. The car was delivered and she found glass on the floor. They had broken a window and replaced without saying anything ...the new glass was cheapo-chine. Also half of her belongings turned up missing as well. Pick a company that doesn't sub contract the move the sub can be a [censored] with a history. The company she dealt with took no responsibility.

Neighbors just dealt with a car move from Florida to MN. Transporter missed the pickup date by 2 days, and then missed the delivery date by 4+ days.

Long story short: If you need firm dates and times, good luck. If you've got flexibility (on both ends), then it should work. Completely understand the wear and tear component plus the empty haulback though...

Had decent luck shipping with DAS on cars I've sold.
Like everyone else said:
Dropping off at a terminal doesn't guarantee when that car is loaded and on the way.
I don't like the +/- 2/3 days on each end, which is conservative. Sometimes it is more.

Having just driven from Calif to Pennsylvania to pick up a car, I can appreciate the concerns.
Observations:
Calif 55mph towing speed limit compared with 70mph everywhere else.
Calif roads are the WORST in the country having just traveled through 18 states.
Trying to find motels where I can park a truck and attached car trailer was a challenge.
Can't imagine towing without luxury of a 3/4 ton diesel with power and exhaust brake.

I'll drive it from Texas to California for you as long as I have a few weeks notice.
smile.gif

Having household items in there will be a big issue. They will not take responsibility for anything you leave in there. The other thing is that as much as you try to find a decent company, 99% of them are brokers, so you get sub'd out anyway. I've moved 4 times in 10 years across multiple time zones. Twice needed to transport cars and was never super happy with either. Blown drop off times, your broker becomes useless and the driver will not be who you want to have just been responsible for your car.

The ONLY way to it right is get one of the enclosed auto transport companies that owns their fleet. Ballpark is prob at least double of what you are seeing for open, cost cutter.

Good luck!

There's only one thing you need to know: The whole thing is completely full of dung from start to finish.

You're probably going to end up with a broker. Most of their offices are populated with the absolute worst of the worst human dregs. Most are going to tell you total and complete lies about when and how much will be the cost to move your car. All they are doing is putting an offer onto Central Dispatch and hoping a trucker will announce their intent to take it.

Once a trucker does give intent, there is nothing in the world committing them to your vehicle. They can drop your appointment like a sack if something better comes along, and you are finished.

Going directly to the transport trucking company itself can be a huge waste of time. They really don't know if they are going to be on route for your vehicle on a certain day and time. That's next to impossible to promise, unless it is truly one of those very well traveled routes. Beyond that, you still face getting jacked if a better prospect comes along.

You have to understand how an auto transport truck works. Let's just say I'm agreeing to move a mid-size SUV for you. Then I found out that there's a guy willing to pay big bucks to move a Cadillac Escalade. Big heavy vehicle. But there's no way I could take that truck anyway. I can only put that big beast on the very back, and I'll be overweight. Well, I can take that economy car that's paying what your mid-size SUV is paying, and then I have room and weight to take that Escalade. Bye bye to your load.

Did I agree to take you car for $800, and now that route is seriously overdemand and paying $1400 for an economy car? Good bye.

Shopping is a double-edged sword as well. A dirty broker may post your listing without your authorization, and then you are dog doo. Stink lines and all. Brokers won't touch your listing because they know truckers won't touch a double-listed vehicle.

Beyond that, there are the realities of operating a truck that is moving a bunch of vehicles. Delays, delays, delays. Problems, problems, problems.

There are good ones, though. There are these two guys who do the Cali/Florida run in 5 days flat. I don't even know how. I've joked that these guys must do so much drugs on the road and never sleep. Team drivers. Just keep tag-teaming, and keep running. Incredible.

Thanks for all the insights... the trailer is actually looking better in spite of the hassle. :-/

I think some misunderstood the "household goods" part though- they will NOT be in the Cherokee if we ship it, they'll be in our truck that we'll drive.

Thanks again!

I had an excellent experience shipping my Ridgeline from my brother in Arizona to me in (at the time) North Carolina. I forget the broker I went through, but it was one of the major internet brokers. I didn't hear from them for a long time and, as the pickup date neared, I was anxious that my job wasn't going to get assigned. I called them a few times, and they assured me that it would. I had a pretty helpful agent who I would email with also.

It eventually got assigned to Lazi Auto Corporation. This is an eastern European guy who transports Teslas in a closed carrier from the factory in Fremont, CA, back east. It apparently just so happened that he had an extra slot on his hauler, so I got first class covered transportation for the cost of an open air hauler.

Pictures of the hauler and more about Lazi Auto Corp on Ridgelineownersclub.com

(Apparently, I used shipacardirect.com, as noted in my review on ROC.com.)

Well, I'll see what kind of vibe I get... at the first sign of flaking out I'll just drive it or trailer it and endure the extra hassle. I suspect a lot of the bad reviews are from folks between a rock and hard place who don't have options. I have options. I like options. Options are power... ;-)

Well, I'll see what kind of vibe I get... at the first sign of flaking out I'll just drive it or trailer it and endure the extra hassle. I suspect a lot of the bad reviews are from folks between a rock and hard place who don't have options. I have options. I like options. Options are power... ;-)

Have you considered a rental trailer? Pickup here, drop off there... That would by my 2nd. choice. First would be to drive it.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Have you considered a rental trailer? Pickup here, drop off there... That would by my 2nd. choice. First would be to drive it.

I have. And if I trusted the maintenance of such a trailer, I'd be all over it but my recent years' experiences aren't that great and don't encourage me to set off on a 1200 mile run across the desert southwest. Bald-ish tires, questionable brakes (and they're surge brakes, not electric). If I trailer it myself, it'll be with a friend's BigTex dovetail. Tires I can inspect or replace myself, electric brakes, solid tie-downs... etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back