Best Oil For a 2012 Equinox 2.4L. Burns Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
SE Michigan
70K on the clock
Mostly Highway Driving, driving style is not easy, but its not hard.
Have been running M1 5W-30 or M1 Extended Performance 5W-30.
Changing the oil every 5k, regardless of what the computer states (never below 15%)
And the kicker is, - It has been losing about 1qt er every 1000 miles in the past year. I've had it in the shop, after some research and seeing that it is a common issue with this engine and Government Motors wont help me out.

I plan on changing the oil this weekend, but I'm looking at using GTX Magnatec or QS Syn Blend to see if that slows down the oil consumption.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
1)Check the PCV and make sure it is working properly.
2)Are you staying with dexos1 oils?
3)You may want to try a high mileage oil that also meets dexos1 certification.

If you're adding a quart per thousand miles, there's little need to change at 5000 mile intervals.
Assuming a 5 quart sump, you're turning the sump over completely every 5000 miles already. Just grab your best deals on SN and/or Dexos rated name brands.

Now if you're looking for something that will reduce consumption, you'll need to do your own experiments. My old Saturn 1.9 engine (famous for using oil) got remarkably better on the old Castrol "GC" 0W30. It also did well on Shell Rotella 5W40.

welcome2.gif

You should still be under warranty.

My choices would be:
A HDEO like Rotella T5 or T6
A HM oil like Maxlife, or Smitty's HM (Kmart has it for $10/jug), and buy some additional quarts
A Euro oil like Castrol or M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w30
If you can find it, a dexos2 oil

Maxlife is dexos approved.

Perhaps you can sue them, or contact the MI attorney general or something.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

1)Check the PCV and make sure it is working properly.
2)Are you staying with dexos1 oils?
3)You may want to try a high mileage oil that also meets dexos1 certification.

1- Checked and yes works properly.
2- Until the warranty expires.
3- On the list to do.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
welcome2.gif

You should still be under warranty.

My choices would be:
A HDEO like Rotella T5 or T6
A HM oil like Maxlife, or Smitty's HM (Kmart has it for $10/jug), and buy some additional quarts
A Euro oil like Castrol or M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w30
If you can find it, a dexos2 oil

Maxlife is dexos approved.

Perhaps you can sue them, or contact the MI attorney general or something.

It's a well documented issue, but it is considered "normal" to burn 1qt every 1000 miles according to GM.

I'll look in to the oils you have listed.

Dealer know about oil burning? I think Castrol has a high milage full syn tht is dexos approved tht you can try. Its available at Wal-Mart. Im stocked up on napa full syn 0/5w20 which is on sale for $2.99 a quart which is dexos approved.

Ah, another 2 point 4 burner....
wink.gif

I'd normally tell ya to forget the warranty (their not going to help on the oil burning or early rust these trucklets get)- but at 70k- I would just switch to Maxlife Full syn (since you are already using M1 anyways) or just get the regular Maxlife syn blend....both dexos approved.

You might want to consider a full synthetic, proper PAO 10W30. Think Amsoil might do one. This oil will have the lowest Noack volatility of all the common oils you can buy.

Your engine is probably losing oil via 'over the top' route (ie through the PCV) and 'from underneath' (due to a stuck or worn oil ring). The low Noack will help with the former, less so with the latter. Unsticking rings in situ is almost impossible but if you reduce the supply of crud you're feeding to the pistons, you might get lucky.

Originally Posted By: adb1228
SE Michigan
70K on the clock
Mostly Highway Driving, driving style is not easy, but its not hard.
Have been running M1 5W-30 or M1 Extended Performance 5W-30.
Changing the oil every 5k, regardless of what the computer states (never below 15%)
And the kicker is, - It has been losing about 1qt er every 1000 miles in the past year. I've had it in the shop, after some research and seeing that it is a common issue with this engine and Government Motors wont help me out.

I plan on changing the oil this weekend, but I'm looking at using GTX Magnatec or QS Syn Blend to see if that slows down the oil consumption.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Before you do another oil change, have you had an official oil consumption test done by the GM dealer? That is usually the first step in getting the problem taken care of. Telling them how much oil it uses will usually not take it to the next step.

I sent you a private message regarding the oil burning which can be found on the forum in the link. Read through some of those posts and you will see how to get your dealer or a different dealer to acknowledge the problem and how to get it taken care of under the warranty.

Good luck

Originally Posted By: ls973800

Before you do another oil change, have you had an official oil consumption test done by the GM dealer? That is usually the first step in getting the problem taken care of. Telling them how much oil it uses will usually not take it to the next step.

I sent you a private message regarding the oil burning which can be found on the forum in the link. Read through some of those posts and you will see how to get your dealer or a different dealer to acknowledge the problem and how to get it taken care of under the warranty.

Good luck

GM has not offered up the Oil Consumption test as of yet, they only state that a quart every 1000 miles is "normal", I guess I'll have them do the oil change and bring that up while I'm there.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 in spring, summer & fall. 5W-30 in winter.

I'd use the synthetic blend. If it's burning oil this rapidly, there's not much than can be done in my opinion besides using a quality high mileage oil & using a thicker grade to see what happens. This is what I would do.

1 quart per 1K miles on a 2012 engine with 70K miles is absolutely unacceptable. Many people never check their oil, wonder how many of them have blown up this engine doing that?

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Valvoline MaxLife 10W-40 in spring, summer & fall. 5W-30 in winter.

I'd use the synthetic blend. If it's burning oil this rapidly, there's not much than can be done in my opinion besides using a quality high mileage oil & using a thicker grade to see what happens. This is what I would do.

1 quart per 1K miles on a 2012 engine with 70K miles is absolutely unacceptable. Many people never check their oil, wonder how many of them have blown up this engine doing that?

We lost the 2.4 in the Malibu in my signature due to an issue with the head.

Neither engine has burned a single drop of oil somehow though. Weird, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back