When you were younger once, did you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you were younger once, did you ever try to bury the needle in the family car,,,,me , yep , 120 mph in dad's 64 Buick Rivera, 4bbl,,would love to have that car back,,but I do not recommend driving that fast....

Sure, it's a right of passage...

But, once I turned 16 and had my own cars, they were generally faster than pop's family wagons (all except for that 66 Polara wagon with the 383 Interceptor package ...)
laugh.gif

Yes. Nothing tightens the orifices as much as indicated 120mph with 4 retreaded tires....but it was probably only 105mph given the optimistic speedo.

1964 Chrysler New Yorker 413ci = 95mph at 3/4 throttle
grin.gif

1972 Ford Galaxie 500 351W = 120mph with carpet pad squeezed to nothing + downhill + tailwind

Stupid stuff, could have enrolled in Darwin Club.

73 Pontiac Safari wagon with tow package.
400 4bbl would hit 90.
I used to flip the Air filter cover to hear the
4 bbl carb open.

1970 Pontiac Catalina with the 400 engine, and that boat would sail. Loved that car.

2002 Corolla, pretty sure it was limited to 100 because that's as fast as it went.
Before that, 1969 VW Bug. Floored it all the time, still barely kept up with traffic.

Last edited:
1973 New Yorker past 120 mph many times, if speedo was correct, saw 80 to 100 on nightly basis !!
the other fast moving thing on that car was the needle on the gas gauge ........
Looking back i don't how some of my friends and i ever survived our teenage years.

Saw 100 in my dad's 1970 Mustang. A veritable slug by today's standards- the only vehicle in my garage that can't top 130 is my Wrangler.

Young and foolish... The needle was bouncing between 115 and 120. A '71 Plymouth Duster, 318 V8 with a Torqueflite tranny, on the empty PA turnpike in the wee hours of the morning.

Of course! Every car my parents owned when I live at home. Every care I've ever owned. The fastest was my 65 GTO. Spedo only went to 120mph. I had it well past that. The needle was straight down and pegged. I haven't found the top on the 2013 Dodge GC but it has been past 100.....
grin2.gif

I clearly remember myself and others doing 80-85 mph in drivers ed. That was only in passing another car on a two lane road though. Our driver's ed teacher was 65 and past ready to retire and he sat in the other seat and seldom said a word. A couple of times he got a bit testy and we learned if we stopped at the dairy queen (in the next town over on our driving route) and bought him an ice cream cone he'd calm back down.

Every young man did this.
The roads were a lot more open back in the day.
I exceeded the ton in my '76 MGB on a two lane road way back when. I did the same with a 280Z 2+2 I later owned. This was a problem one didn't face with our old Vanagon or our two W123 diesels, since they couldn't come close to the ton.
I exceeded the ton in our '99 Accord driving it home new from the dealer. I had the BMW over the ton on I-71 north of Columbus with the AC running and my wife asleep.
I ran our Forester to its top speed one afternoon on I-75 between the I-275 loop and Dayton.
The Subie is apparently governed to the ton since it wouldn't go any faster.
A guy behind me at my exit in a plumbing company van was busily photographing the Subie's plate and talking on his phone while we were stopped at the light.
I was strongly tempted to get out and take his phone away from him, but that would have been an actual crime as opposed to the high speed run that wouldn't buy me a ticket based upon the word of some plumber.
Going at least a hundred is a rite of passage with any car anyone with blood in their veins buys. It was a necessity when young and dumb and driving dad's car. I cringe to think of how fast I drove with only limited experience. I may not be a while lot smarter these days, but I am more experienced.

One weekend in high school back around '05 or so my friend's parents were out of town. They had an early 2000s Miata. I rode shotgun as my friend took it out on the interstate to see what it would do. He took it up to 135 MPH, and it was still pulling, but he was too scared to take it any faster. The top was down too.

I have ridden shotgun in a SN95 Mustang GT doing at least 155-160 MPH...speedometer was buried. It was modified, but not with safety equipment to match. Really glad we didn't wreck in that thing.

We used to do it all the time! 1983 Olds Delta 88. Speedometer only went up to 85 (and had the 55 with a square around it). We'd get out on an open road and floor it. The needle would totally disappear beneath the gauge haha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back