Braking coefficient

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shopping brake pads and can't seem to find a source that publishes the letter stamped brake coefficient for a given pad. Other than opening boxes and reading stamped letters at the store, is there a way to compare these?

The higher you go the better. FF is better than EE, EF, and FE. The fist letter is the cold rating, and the second letter is the hot. For a daily driver, FF rated is pretty dang good. The high performance stuff like GG and above is going to cost lots.

Depends on if you want the rotors to wear faster than the pads
smile.gif
Also you can over heat the rotors and warp them.

I prefer one step more aggressive than OEM spec.

Especially with city driving, I find OEM too mild, it is very tiring.

A step more aggressive is nicer for coming to stops at intersections and bumper to bumper driving.

A more aggressive pad you need to apply less pedal pressure and don't have to start braking as far in advance which I prefer.

Depends, I've had hi-po pads that didn't work well when cold. So that first stop needed MORE room until the brakes got some heat in them.

I suspect any pad compound choice is a trade off. I.E. it may not fade as bad, but needs more heat to get the performance you desire, etc.

I put on EBC Ultimax 2 front brake pads on my sisters Camry. The pads are made in England and have GG stamped on them. They were cheap on Amazon. Those pads have a lot of initial bite, more so than any other pad
I can think of.

I'm running these in yellow - serious bite - lots of dust - race to the finish between rotors and pads.
(I bought and stored new rotors after six months of these English Bulldogs)

Last edited:
Here's an actual answer to the question you asked - there is no comprehensive source to find the ratings you are looking for. I've been in your shoes and searched and called until I was blue in the face and found no source of all available pads.

Your best bet would be to choose a short list of pads you are considering and call the manufacturers, which is what I did. You might also get lucky with the pictures that Rock Auto posts and see the actual markings, like with the Raybestos EHT line of pads. Centric is very good at providing the ratings via email.

Great responses and good info guys, thanks.
3puttpar - thanks for your footwork and suggestions.
I try to avoid the hyped pads and get what will give me the best blend for my needs.
I used to say "I don't want to buy an Edsel." In retrospect, their current value would suggest that they were an extremely good purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back