Who can quickly diagnose bulb failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im wanting to take the truck in sig into a shop to figure out a failure to illuminate license plate bulb and my cab marker lights not lighting up.

I bet anyone can see my license at night and the cab marker/chicken lamps dont really do much except look cool at low light times. BUT, if there is a place for a light then it must function is what Ive heard before. Like those truckers who have 100 lights and one goes out and it upsets Mr. Lawman.

Here is what I know for the license plate lamp.

It is on the driver's side. Bulb replacement didnt change a thing. The socket looked burnt, so I cut the two wires to take it to the parts store. While doing so the lights were on and I saw the other lights (at least one) that are on with the switch on DIM briefly indicting the wiring was good to that point. I then got a new socket from autozone and wired it up and still darkness..

Thanks

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I cut the two wires to take it to the parts store. While doing so the lights were on

Maybe you popped a fuse.

Do you have power going to the bulb? If you don't I would check the fuses first. There is a possibility of having a bad ground as well.

Wiring is confusing... Good luck.

If the license plate socket takes a 5W (5W5 bulb) and you've shoved an old 193 or 194 (3V and 4V, respectively) into it, it won't stay on.
The 193-4 bulbs can make contact briefly but settle into a non-contact position. The 5W5 base is thicker glass.
You may have inserted a 193-4 into a "new" 5W5 sized socket.

Why didn't you prod about with a volt meter before cutting off the socket? Those sockets get green with crud and FREQUENTLY NEED 10 solid minutes of "message".

In fact, those plate and side marker sockets are commonly made of soft "rubber" so you can crush them with pliers to break out a fused/solidly corroded bulb.

I've used Brasso in heavily corroded sockets which did not work.

Remember to apply dielectric grease or silicone grease to every bulb base INCLUDING WHERE IT SEATS.
"Lubing" the socket where it enters the fixture housing helps keep water out.
It is FOOLISH and ignorant not to so. Kira

I guess this is just my first case with the graemlins. I never really had them before.

Not my is dead, but the same bulb that is a blinker WORKS! So maybe some module or relay circuitry is misbehavin'.

Enough works to be decently safely operable so I will just wait until the police recommend a shop.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I cut the two wires to take it to the parts store. While doing so the lights were on

Maybe you popped a fuse.

That was it....an underhood fuse. Now all the rear lights work as they should. A 10A fuse it was......

Now the cab marker lights are my fault as I was cleaning up stray wires before I sent the truck to the dealership to be fixed. Well, I must have pulled a wire going from the toggle switch to something......

But at least I am legal now...

Thanks again BOB!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back