Napa Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this oil topic has been beat to death in the past. Napa has this oil on sale $2.99 a qt. Just bout 2012 Buick with 66,000 miles. All my other cars are Fords so i use Motorcraft and
at this price I plan to stock up and the great thing is the Napa Gold oil filter is the same on i stock for my Ford Tarus, what is the difference is this oil and all the top shelf synthetic oils?

It should be very similar to Valvoline full syn. Look on the back and it should say something close to Ashland Inc. or Ashland Chemical at the bottom - Valvoline's parent company. I've heard somewhere that Napa's formulations are slightly different than Valvoline branded oil, but only slightly. What kind of Buick?

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
It should be very similar to Valvoline full syn. Look on the back and it should say something close to Ashland Inc. or Ashland Chemical at the bottom - Valvoline's parent company. I've heard somewhere that Napa's formulations are slightly different than Valvoline branded oil, but only slightly. What kind of Buick?

Buick Lacroose for my 16 year old daughter

It's right in there with all the other non-high mileage/extended protection synthetics you'll find on, let's say, Wal-Mart's shelves. If it's a non-turbocharged engine and you change it at least as frequently as the owner's manual says to it should provide more than adequate protection. I have a '13 Cruze (1.4 turbo) that just rolled 72K, 50K of which were on Valvoline Synpower - no oil consumption, no repairs, excellent fuel economy.

i got a case of 0w20 for my malibu last oil special. going tom to napa again and gonna get me a case of 5w20 and a case of 5w30 for a co-worker.

Napa Syn is a great oil, very similar to Valvoline SynPower. Some say it is identical to SynPower. I have been running Napa Syn 0W20 in my Honda since I bought it. It runs great, very smooth and quiet, no consumption at all and I still get 34-35 MPG with the AC on full blast here in the Florida heat.

Use with confidence given "average driving" as related to the oil life monitor or owner's manual change interval. It's got DEXOS certification for GM so you cant get much better than that for a Buick...

Last edited:
I would consider it equal to Mobil Super synthetic or Super Tech full syn, both of which are very good oils IMO. If you scrutinize the data sheets carefully, it is pretty obvious that Synpower uses better base stocks, but otherwise the add packs are very similar. I don't consider it an extended drain syn, (Synpower is not exactly stellar at that either IMO) but it should be a very good pick for 5-7k OCI's in most applications.

JMO.

It's right in there with all the other non-high mileage/extended protection synthetics you'll find on, let's say, Wal-Mart's shelves. If it's a non-turbocharged engine and you change it at least as frequently as the owner's manual says to it should provide more than adequate protection. I have a '13 Cruze (1.4 turbo) that just rolled 72K, 50K of which were on Valvoline Synpower - no oil consumption, no repairs, excellent fuel economy.
What interval are you running on your Cruze out of curiosity?

5,000 mi. If it were non-turbo and it took less than a year to accumulate the miles, I'd have no second thoughts about going longer than that - I just know the turbo is going to eat up the oil more quickly.

5,000 mi. If it were non-turbo and it took less than a year to accumulate the miles, I'd have no second thoughts about going longer than that - I just know the turbo is going to eat up the oil more quickly.
Yes that is a safe bet. These turbos run so hot. I only run oil that meet the HT0-06 spec, for peace of mind honestly. But right now Blackstone has told me I can run Ultra pure plus out to close to 10,000 miles, thats with changing the filter at 5,000. Although I drive 870 miles per week all highway though too.

Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower. Since it's dexos approved, you can run it to the full OLM-suggested OCI with no problems
smile.gif

Ditto. After 50K I changed to Schaeffer's full syn. and lengthened the interval to 7,500 mi., but not long after that the car started staying local a lot more, hence less highway driving, and I'm opting to go back to my old lube regimen on the next change just to counteract the greater fuel contamination. But if I was putting 870 a week on it I'd be sticking with Schaeffer's @ 7,500 - it puts the OLM right around 0 on an oil several steps better than what the OLM is calibrated for, so I still consider it to have adequate wiggle room.

Ditto. After 50K I changed to Schaeffer's full syn. and lengthened the interval to 7,500 mi., but not long after that the car started staying local a lot more, hence less highway driving, and I'm opting to go back to my old lube regimen on the next change just to counteract the greater fuel contamination. But if I was putting 870 a week on it I'd be sticking with Schaeffer's @ 7,500 - it puts the OLM right around 0 on an oil several steps better than what the OLM is calibrated for, so I still consider it to have adequate wiggle room.
My 2011 Cruze maintenance minder I've found is configured at 10,000 miles. And I'm not sure why, but every 100 miles takes it down 1%. And this is regardless of driving in city or highway...

Originally Posted By: JHogan
My 2011 Cruze maintenance minder I've found is configured at 10,000 miles. And I'm not sure why, but every 100 miles takes it down 1%. And this is regardless of driving in city or highway...

The oil life monitor on the early ones (2011 and 2012, I believe) was calibrated too generously and would run to around 10,000 mi. That's part of what lead to the several too-common lube-related failures in the early Cruzes, turbos included. By late 2012 or 2013 they'd tweaked the calibration to more like 7,500 mi., and sent out an updated tune for the older models for dealerships to take care of. Only the best oils are adequate for 10K changes in the Cruze.

Do our '13 Cruze at 7k around 15% left ... Can't get my head around that puny filter going for too long - cheap & easy change anyway ...

Originally Posted By: stp44
Picked up 3 cases today
picked up a case of 5w20 and 30 and some single bottles to round up an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back