SN/GF-5 Napa Synthetic PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending out my U.O.A. out today, via post office. Used Napa 10W30 Synthetic for exactly 6,000 miles. I bought the Napa analysis kit. Will post when I get back.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
I contacted Valvoline and had them send me the PDS for the SN/GF-5 Napa synthetic. I've seen a few people ask for this and never seen this (revised 3/2011 with 0w20) version posted.

Strange that they list the 0w20 as having more calcium than the other viscosites.

NapaSynPDS.jpg

The 2013 PQIA test results for NAPA synthetic 5W-30 are different than the product data sheet. Since it is Dexos approved now, there is a good chance it is different from either the product data sheet and the PQIA test.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Great find thanks for posting. The general consensus here has always been "Synpower with a weaker add pack". As noted it looks just like VWB with a Grp III syn base stock, except the 0w20 which mimics the hard to find Durablend add pack at least on paper. Very interesting!

Agreed, that does seem to be the consensus but that's not entirely correct. Looking at the test done by pqi on both synpower and napa syn, the additive levels are nearly identical, even the tbn. The only difference I can find between the two is synpower is a little thinner during cold temps than napa suggesting that synpower uses a little group IV and napa is all group III. Just a guess on my part, Ashland does claim to use a certain percentage of group IV in synpower, but they don't say anything about napa syn. reasonable deduction.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
Yeah I was noticing that the Napa 0w20 seems to be identical to Synpower 0w20 with the exception of the pour point.

So what is the Napa pour point?
I'm not seeing the OP's datasheet.

I am surprised to see the Napa oil has DROPPED in price since 3 years ago. That's the exact opposite of how everything else is going (up). Perhaps the decline in oil barrel cost is the reason.

Here is the PDS that Valvoline sent me a couple months back. It is not what is currently being sold at NAPA, at least not the 5W-30, so this product data sheet is wrong. The calcium and sodium levels are comparable to Synpower, and not Valvoline conventional.

Originally Posted By: jaynissan12
The only difference I can find between the two is synpower is a little thinner during cold temps than napa suggesting that synpower uses a little group IV and napa is all group III. Just a guess on my part, Ashland does claim to use a certain percentage of group IV in synpower, but they don't say anything about napa syn. reasonable deduction.

Yes, that's what it says to me too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: cluster5
The pour point at -36C is not that good for a syn.

No, but it is not without precedent.

Agreed, in Oz Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 has the same pour point of -36C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back