Interesting F-150 Ecoboost comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am amazed at my good pilot buddies new Egobooster 2.7. That thing can flat get out and go! He has a regular cab 4X4.

Very powerful engines. With amazing torque right off idle...

Should be a riot in the Fusion Sport coming out next year. 325 hp/380 ft/lbs in a 3600 lb car instead of a heavier pickup? Sounds like a fun family sedan to me...

Does it have something to do with the turbos being quicker in the 2.7 maybe?

I had an ecoboost fusion titanium for a few days as a rental. Very nice, smooth car. But boy was it a pig on gas, and I try to drive very gently.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Should be a riot in the Fusion Sport coming out next year. 325 hp/380 ft/lbs in a 3600 lb car instead of a heavier pickup? Sounds like a fun family sedan to me...

The 2017 Fusion Sport is on dealer lots now actually. I'd love to have one but I have enough vehicles with the business & personal... Lol

I like both but the MPG is really along the lines of my F350 CC with the 6.2L
I actually have seen 21 mpg for stretches of 100 and some miles as long as I keep it under 65mph
and even at drive thrus etc. and the end of the week average with all of that included can be 14.5 mpg

Diff rear ends in the trucks Id guess.

I got 21 over a 120 + mile semi uphill loop out of a 3.5 3:55 pretty easy, just using cruise and keeping my foot out of it.

IF you keep putting your foot in it you can kill the MPG real quick.

UD

I bought my wife an '16 2.7, it now has about 6,500 mi. on it. No complaints on the power, or anything else for that matter. Its a 4 door short bed and we use it to make deliveries and she also drives it to work.
It is 4wd and she has been averaging 23 mpg.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

It's closer to 3900 lbs, but yes, it still should be reasonably fun.

Yep, if you want the V8 burble you will be disappointed.

Lucky for me, I don't care - so long as its generally quiet. In fact, part of why I didn't buy a Ram, despite it being cheaper, was the exhaust tone. Fine for general short term driving. Thought I was going to go insane when towing a boat for 6 hours in a friends truck...

Love my 2016 F150 4x4 Supercrew with the 2.7. Averaging 20 MPG in a full size truck that replaced a 2004 F150 4x4 Supercrew that delivered 14 MPG in the same driving cycle.

That is pretty interesting.
I wonder how long the nickel rocket will last as compared to its bigger brother?
It surprises me that Ford has put that kind of specific output into the engine of what is basically a work vehicle, although most aren't really used that way.
325 bhp out of 2.7 liters?
That's the same specific output the two liter S2000 has. While Honda didn't use turbos to get there, they also gave up on torque, which the baby Ecoboost produces in spades.
Either Ford has seen the future and it ain't a pushrod V-8 or Chevy and Dodge (Ram?) have been right all along. So far it isn't looking all that good for the old-school approach.

FWIW I drive a company F-150 4X4, king cab (clamshell doors). At 85% highway driving, at the speed limit (on-board monitoring camera
cry.gif
), the truck gets 20+ with a 5.0 V8.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I had an ecoboost fusion titanium for a few days as a rental. Very nice, smooth car. But boy was it a pig on gas, and I try to drive very gently.

I had a 2017 Fusion with the 2.0 ecoboost as a rental when I was in Canada. It was a great car to drive, but I think I averaged about 19 mpg. I am pretty sure that a Toyota 3.5L V6 (2GR-FE) would have been equally fun to drive with better fuel economy.

Poking around, the 2.7 is 440lb and iron block, while the 3.5 is 449lb and aluminum block. Strange that they are so close in weight, but I guess the 3.5 is simply "beefier" in order to have the strength. Lighter than the big blocks of yesteryear.

More poking indicates the 5.0 Coyote is 444lb, the older 4.6 500lb (cast iron) or 415 (aluminum).

I take a few things out of Edmunds testing.

The 2.7 delivered better fuel mileage in mixed suburban driving than the V8. And as they note, that is with the auto start stop turned off.

In pure freeway driving, the numbers out of the two were similar, and that doesn't surprise me. Note that the gearing was different in the two trucks (3.73 behind the 2.7, 3.31 behind the V8) and the 2.7 also had the aero disadvantage of having the optional towing mirrors.

Last, I've always taken reported fuel economy numbers with a grain of salt. Seems it can be tough for an auto enthusiast to keep their foot out of it when power is on tap. Averaging right at 20 MPG on my 2.7 to date, and I'm not even trying...

The good news is all of us have options on what to buy that fits our needs.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Yep, if you want the V8 burble you will be disappointed.

Lucky for me, I don't care - so long as its generally quiet. In fact, part of why I didn't buy a Ram, despite it being cheaper, was the exhaust tone. Fine for general short term driving. Thought I was going to go insane when towing a boat for 6 hours in a friends truck...

Love my 2016 F150 4x4 Supercrew with the 2.7. Averaging 20 MPG in a full size truck that replaced a 2004 F150 4x4 Supercrew that delivered 14 MPG in the same driving cycle.
Your friend's Ram must have had an aftermarket exhaust installed because the stock exhaust on my Ram is almost silent. I do plan on changing that in the near future though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back