Adhesive protective patch in wheelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning folks,

My Jeep has factory installed black under-body coating inside all 4 wheel wells. After seeing a square section of paint inside my front driver side and taking a closer look, it appears that the factory installed an adhesive patch over a seam/ hole in the front wheel well before spraying on the coating.

I'd like to find a replacement so I don't have to worry about road debris chipping the paint. Plus, the master cylinder lines are right behind it. Indiana, salt etc.

Anyone have an idea on what material this might be? Googling adhesive car body patch only reveals Bondo products.
21.gif

The scuff plate used in my Volvo (added patch, like yours, to protect the wheel well in case someone fits "too wide" tires) is steel. It's held in place by a bolt. You might try correctly contoured steel.

Also you might try making one out of hard blue plastic of the type used in drums (polypropylene). Gluing that in place might be troublesome as "nothing sticks to plastic".

An epoxy would hold the longest but would also require that you scuff or sand off the paint to get a better bond.

My guess is that a thick layer of undercoating is the best option if you want to avoid that.

Window flashing or the ice/ water shield as Larry mentioned sounds like it'd work.

Bed liner would cover and protect the paint but not the hole. Should have specified. Sorry folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back