Piston Soak-LC20 or Berryman's B-12 or MMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have all three on hand. Which would you use?

Last edited:
How are you planning on using it? I have used Berryman's with decent results. Typically I put a can in the tank a couple hundred miles before changing the oil. I have not tried it in a vacuum line.

LC20. Keep the mmo away from anything but the walmart sales shelf where it belongs to collect dust. B12 might work,but its chemicals are a bit aggressive or it might flash too quick like acetone and not stay around long enough to soak. Hopefully LC20 works for you. I would also find something like lubegard biotech or liquimoly motor protect that has lots of molybdenum to help clean/free sticky rings. Best of luck to you.

Can't seem to find the LC20 I thought I had. Oh, well.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
How are you planning on using it? I have used Berryman's with decent results. Typically I put a can in the tank a couple hundred miles before changing the oil. I have not tried it in a vacuum line.

The Title read "Piston Soak"

Originally Posted By: ET16
I have all three on hand. Which would you use?

I would mix all three and let it do its soaking goodness for as long as you can get it. You want as much carbon loosened to then be blown out. An ounce or two per cylinder.

Make sure neighbors arent around when you start it back up, cops have valid reason to tell you to get your car off the road for when its doing the de-smoke.

Can't find the LC20? Mix the other two.

Originally Posted By: HotDog15
I would mix all three and let it do its soaking goodness for as long as you can get it. You want as much carbon loosened to then be blown out. An ounce or two per cylinder.

Make sure neighbors arent around when you start it back up, cops have valid reason to tell you to get your car off the road for when its doing the de-smoke.

Can't find the LC20? Mix the other two.

Interesting idea. Have you had success combining multiple treatments in another application?

Fill the cylinders with Berryman and let it soak overnight. Drain it out and dump the oil and if the rings were stuck due to carbon, they should be free. If memory serves GM had a process like this for Saturn oil burners.

I would do it in stages

B-12
MMO
LC20

I will be doing a soak soon on my trusty SL2

Chemtool for a couple hours
PB Blaster for a bit then bump the engine a couple times
Rislone Engine Treatment and bump the engine every so often for a few hours.

I ended up mixing the B-12 with MMO, about two ounces each.

I ended up mixing the B-12 with MMO, about two ounces each. I siphoned it all out before restarting.

Originally Posted By: ET16
I ended up mixing the B-12 with MMO, about two ounces each. I siphoned it all out before restarting.

Quackers had it right.

With the spark plugs removed, you need to rotate the crankshaft by hand or bump the starter to distribute the cleaner.

It take at least one good overnight soak to soften the carbon on the piston crown and to soften ring deposits.

I have seen LC20 unstick a ring in a 2-cycle engine within 20 minutes of soaking.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I would do it in stages

B-12
MMO
LC20

I will be doing a soak soon on my trusty SL2

Chemtool for a couple hours
PB Blaster for a bit then bump the engine a couple times
Rislone Engine Treatment and bump the engine every so often for a few hours.

My experience with s series saturns, piston soaks don't work. My sohc was consuming a quart in 400 miles. The piston drain back lands were not blocked and the rings were not gummed up or stuck.

The rings had lost tension. They were low tension rings to begin with.

Very shortly, I will be doing my second piston soak on my '93 SL2 currently @ 163k miles. I hope my rings are OK. The vehicle performa very well and does not leave a spy hunter clould when gunning it on the highway. I did my first soak at 153k miles and the oil consumption moderately improved. I can and have registered 40 mpg on highway tripa so the vehicle is in good repair. Use was about 1800 miles per quart, not bad. This OCI the use is ~1500 miles per quart but I started with 20 ounces of MMO with Mobil 1 5w-30 and expected use to increase.

Very shortly, I will be doing my second piston soak on my '93 SL2 currently @ 163k miles. I hope my rings are OK. The vehicle performa very well and does not leave a spy hunter clould when gunning it on the highway. I did my first soak at 153k miles and the oil consumption moderately improved. I can and have registered 40 mpg on highway tripa so the vehicle is in good repair. Use was about 1800 miles per quart, not bad. This OCI the use is ~1500 miles per quart but I started with 20 ounces of MMO with Mobil 1 5w-30 and expected use to increase.

Sounds like my sons saturn. I could get 45mpg hwy with his sc1 manual trans( glasspack exhaust). No smoke , you would not know it burned oil as it had good compression, therefore it burned the oil cleanly at 1 quart in 400miles. The oil control rings just lose tension, while the upper rings maintain good compression.

Last edited:
I performed the piston soak (B12/PB-Blaster/Rislone) for over 2 days. Highway run suggests this was worth the effort.

I performed the piston soak (B12/PB-Blaster/Rislone) for over 2 days. Highway run suggests this was worth the effort.

Good luck , i hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back