Daughter's first real bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're about to buy our 11 year old her first real bike. Went to a couple LBSes yesterday. She really likes the Raleigh Alysa 1 in teal color. Raleigh lists it as a $399 bike on their website, and the LBS has $329 on it. It seems like a decent bike. Another LBS, who doesn't sell Raleigh, sort of bad-mouthed the brand and wanted to put her on a Trek 820. He was going to give us a bit of a break on the price of the 820 ($350), but I think it's a moot point as my daughter doesn't like the colors of the 820.

Context: I'm still riding a 1992 model Motiv Stonegrinder with all original drivetrain except for the chain, so I know how to keep a bike running. Both LBSes seemed VERY friendly and knowledgeable, though I sort of dismiss the comments on the Raleigh as from someone who doesn't sell that brand.

Subject to any other recommendations, I think we're going to buy the Raleigh Alysa 1. Do you guys have any other suggestions for that price range? I've seen and like Fuji bikes, but neither LBS sold that brand. Richard's Sporting Goods has a few Diamondback, GT, and Nishiki models in that same price range. I think all of those used to be good brands; are they just overpriced department store bikes now?

All of these (including the Raleigh and Trek) seem to have similar features. QDs front and rear, base model Shimano Tourney drivetrain, either 26 or 700 wheels. I will say that the Trek and most of the Richard's bikes have a front suspension fork, which I generally dislike. The Raleigh is a hard fork.

I will appreciate any and all comments. Thanks in advance.

This may or may not be a consideration for you.

I have found 26" tires difficult to find locally.

I suppose I should add that I have not dug into finding parts online AT ALL so this advice/warning might be unnecessary.

NOTE: I am happy that LBSs (took me a few seconds to get that one) are still around.

I got my FUJI in the mid eighties from a big hardware store in Brooklyn which began stocking good bicycles back in the '70's when "gentrification" was just beginning.
By the mid eighties that store's bicycle sales numbers dwindled.
It looks like good bike prices have dropped to the sane level. When I bought mine they represented the cutting edge of inflation (think of the demo involved).

All I can say is kudos for keeping your daughter's "wants" in mind, while you peruse the "needs" in terms of quality.

You can't go wrong with either one. Me tinks Trek is the better bike. I have a Kona It works well.

Keep on biking..

Raleigh is an under respected brand.
What I dislike about about Trek is their Bontrager branding on tires and other components.
Most Trek frames are made by Kinesis which makes bike frames for several other bike brands.
Bikes are kinda like desktop computers: A Dell can have the same components inside the box as an HP.
You don't need a suspension for riding on the pavement.
My wife is a devoted road biker. She spent some coin on a custom fit Terry because she has a 34" inseam.
That being said, some women's bikes are pinked up mens bikes or some unisex frame ordeal.
Most all LBS will let you test ride the bike before buying.

I test rode a Giant hybrid with and without the front suspension fork and really like the spring fork. It soaks up all the bumps, cracks etc in the pavement. My coworker recommended going with it and he rides to works just about every day. It was a $50 option. Plus a little spring in the seat post made for a nice smooth ride. I wish the tires were thinner for more speed like a road bike.

Thanks, all. Some more thoughts:

As 700c (622mm) wheels become more popular, tires to fit those are also increasing in popularity. I sort of prefer a 26" wheel (with at least a 1.75" tire) for the ability to run it at lower pressures for comfort without getting pinch flats. Everything else being equal, I'd prefer a wider 26" to a narrower 700c. If we buy her the Raleigh with the 700c wheels, I'd look closely at tire clearance to see if we could, in the future, fit a fatter 700c tire or something like a 29x2". The factory tires are Kenda Kwik Tendril in 700x35c, which will probably do fine for a while. I think the largest nominal 700c tire you can find with any ease is a 42mm -- which is about 1.7" wide.

The Raleigh Alysa is a universal frame with a very slight bow curve to the top tube...as compared to the lady version of the 820 with a step-through frame. I like the idea of a universal frame compared to a true step-through. The Trek equivalent to the Raleigh Alysa is the 7.0 FX, but the FX doesn't come in any colors she likes. It's a handsome silver called "Platinum", but not her color. We almost bought an 820 in a matte black/blue, but I could tell she wasn't loving the color. Instead, she wanted something *now*. We encouraged her to chose the color she loved, and not necessarily the one that was in front of her.

At her age and skill set, the brand of bike really doesn't matter; it's all about the color. We're trying to support that, while also buying her something that is a quality bike that she can ride for many years. She'd probably make as much use out of a $99 Roadmaster from Walmart, but we want her to have something nice that she can enjoy.

My experience is that the Trek distribution and service/parts network is better than the limited network of Raleigh in the U.S. With that said, the quality of service provided by your LBS of choice is more critical than the slight differences between Raleigh and Trek - both of which offer decent to excellent bicycles.

For your situation, I don't see any choice other than the Raleigh Alysa since your daughter doesn't care for the colors offered for the Trek 820. After the initial glow wears off, an 11 year old won't continue to ride a bike that she doesn't feel is cool and appealing.

I'm glad to see you supporting the LBS and getting her something decent. I remember going with my dad to get my first "real" bike, a Giant Iguana, in blue. I was about your daughter's age and this was 1991 or 1992. I remember the bike costing $486 after tax and I had only saved up $450 but my dad spotted me the extra $36. That was A LOT of money for me in the early 90s and now you can get a nice bike for less money in 2016 dollars. I still enjoy mountain biking and can't wait to get my kids into it in a few years.

I'm sure either one is a great choice so I'd defer to your daughter and let her make the final pick.

Raleigh should be a great bike...I will say that I bought a Nishiki for my daughter and a standard kickstand does not really fit on it. ****'s recommended one that mounts on the rear, but I do not like those at all. The bike itself is good quality, but I would buy something else now to avoid the kickstand headache.

Has your daughter ridden each bike so she has more than the color to compare ? A test ride should show how each bike fits and behaves differently. Every bike has its own personality.

I'm not a kickstand fan at all. I showed my boys how and where to safely store a bike without one. We removed any that came with their bikes.

An 11 year old could grow through this new bike in no time....maybe size it up a tad. I'd probably lean towards a hardly ridden bike at 1/3 to 1/2 the original MSRP. They're out there for the picking. Raleigh, Trek, GT are all decent bikes. I just picked up a used 2010 GT road bike with probably less than 100 miles on it for 40% of what it was bought new. New ones of that quality were all $700 and over. Check out Craig's List in your area. $325 is still a chunk of change for an 11 year old's bike. I understand you get servicing from the LBS, etc.

My last Raleigh road bike (bought in 2006 for $450) was a mostly steel base model with Shimano Sora accessories. I had it for 10 years (paid $450) and got 10,000 miles out of it, without a single LBS servicing. The brakes and shifters still work perfectly though I totally wore out all the front and rear sprockets due to never replacing the chain....oops. Raleigh is a sturdy bike. Don't let anyone kid you. Trek and Cannondale are popular and trendy. I also have a Univega Alpina 500 Mountain Bike. I like the Raleigh better. And I've passed on hybrids and the straight up stance is not for me, even at 62 years old. There are a ton of used/nearly new hybrids out there...costing $300+ new, and available today for $100-$150. For a road bike with flat handle bars this Raleigh Alysa1 looks pretty good at $325. I couldn't touch a quality name/base model, new road bike today with drop handles for under $700. You could always find a used drop bar and add it down the road. My Raleigh was the base quality they offered in a road bike....and it held up to 3X week/10 yrs of abuse by me without any mechanical issues other than chain/sprocket wear. Change the chain every 2 years and you're fine.

I remember when my son got a new bike back when he was 11, a Univega that was supposed to be bullet proof. Well, in a year he had destroyed the pedals and accessories on that bike. The only thing that survived was the frame. That was the last new bike, lol.

Fwiw I just bought my wife a 1970's Raleigh Grand Prix road bike for $75. It was hardly ever used and never saw rain or snow. Essentially a brand new bike other than a little surface pitting on metal parts. The bike still shifts and rides very smoothly. I was impressed actually. Very sturdy bike even though built 40 yrs ago.

I'm always on the 'List for good used bikes. I've been watching for a while, but nothing has really interested me -- for her bike. I remember getting a new bike when I was young -- that's a special thing. Right now, she's riding on a 24" Walmart "Magna" that I pulled out of someone's trash pile. The drivetrain was rusted beyond belief. I got the chain freed up after soaking in MMO and ATF and I got the rear derailleur sort of working. It's not a good bike, but it's rideable, and it's what she learned on. A new bike shop bike is a real jump in quality and enjoyment for her.

We bought the medium frame which should suit her well for a while still. It's a touch big for her now, but she'll grow into it. Shoot, it fits me pretty well, and it's teal in color -- I wouldn't be ashamed to ride it.

We looked at a Diamondback step-through at Richard's on Sunday. It seemed okay, but something was tickling my mind that the Raleigh was the better bike. We held off and bought her the Raleigh Alysa today at lunch. She's a bit timid to ride it, but can't wait to get some handlebar time on it. It feels like a very good quality bike. I even like the Shimano Revoshifters more than I thought I would. I have some Shimano trigger shifters on mine which I always thought I preferred...

We live directly across the road from the largest park in the county, and there are tons of paved bike trails to explore. Also lots of civil war battlefield sites here that are bike friendly. We also look forward to going to the C&O Canal towpath up by Harper's Ferry and down to Gravelly Point near DC. We were there on Saturday on our way to the Spy Museum, and enjoyed having inbound planes to Reagan National come in about 100 feed overhead. Tons of joggers and bikers down there doing their exercise thing, and that'll be fun for us to get into.

I appreciate all the suggestions, and can say that I'm happy with the $329 Raleigh Alysa 1 so far. LBS includes a year of maintenance after the purchase, so they've got adjustments and things covered through next summer. I typically do all of that stuff myself, but I'm pleased to be able to support a LBS just the same.

Oh, and no kickstand for us, either. She knows how to support the bike against another hard object, or lay it down in the grass chain side up. The LBS asked if we'd like a kickstand installed, but we don't need it. If for nothing else, I'd hate to scratch the paint. I'm actually really impressed with the appearance of the frame of this bike. All of the aluminum welding seems very consistent and the metallic flake and the gloss of the paint is really remarkable.

One more thought...the lady Selle saddle is quite comfortable. A big difference from the Bell brand saddles you get at a box store.

How about getting her a good mirror for her new bike. It will help her to be alert to what's coming up behind her when she has to bike on the city streets.

Also, I have two bikes that came with a suspension seat post. I've found that I really enjoy having that and believe most young ladies will enjoy the suspension seat or seat post as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back