Brought home a beater today

Status
Not open for further replies.
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 OHV. Has 217k miles. Currently doesn't run, hence the tow dolly. Engine isn't getting spark; probably a crank sensor issue. My wife and I were thinking about getting a vehicle that can fit the baby seat and stroller, while still having room for a load of groceries and another (near future) baby seat and a bigger stroller. Then my sister in law's boyfriend said he wanted to get rid of this Explorer, and next thing I know, I'm dragging it home with my Ranger.
Loaded up at SIL's house:

And in front of my house, about to get unloaded:

I unbolted the driveshaft from the rear axle before towing so I wouldn't damage the transmission.

I only have $56 into it so far for the tow dolly rental. I don't expect to put more than 3k miles a year on this truck. It'll be used when we need the cargo room, otherwise it stays parked. Even if I have to dump a grand into it, I should be able to get at least a few more years out of it. That's a good deal in my book.

Subaru doesn't have enough room?

Alright cough it up, what did you tell Uhaul you were gonna tow?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Nope, the interior is surprisingly small. My mother in law has a new Forester which is much roomier. Should've gotten one of those. But that's what the wife wanted, and she/we weren't thinking that far ahead when we bought it.

grin2.gif

2008 Toyota Yaris
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06

Nick1994 said:
grin2.gif

2008 Toyota Yaris
grin.gif

Aha! I've done the same thing. Had to tell Uhaul I was towing a Civic when I was towing my mom's AWD Buick Rendezvous. Towing with an Isuzu Ascender. Short distance anyway.

Then I unhooked the car hauler trailer and hitched it to the 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L and towed a 1974 Chevy Nova. Uhaul won't even let the Jeep tow a Geo Metro with a Cherokee.

grin2.gif

lol. Why is that too big of a vehicle for the dolly?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

grin2.gif

lol. Why is that too big of a vehicle for the dolly?
Yeah Uhaul won't allow it.

It's also RWD/4WD and Uhaul's computers can't compensate for a driveshaft being removed.

I'm sure you'll get it fixed up, looking forward to reading about it. Anything hauled home on a tow dolly automatically has my attention.

Those are my favorite Explorers, the doors on these things shut like a vault.
cool.gif
Is that an XLT? Congrats!

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Those are my favorite Explorers, the doors on these things shut like a vault.
cool.gif
Is that an XLT? Congrats!

I liked that body style too, they just grew bigger from there which was a turn off for me. Unfortunately the 4.0 from that era had some issues. Either way I'd love a project car like that. Keep us updated on it.

Aha! I've done the same thing. Had to tell Uhaul I was towing a Civic when I was towing my mom's AWD Buick Rendezvous. Towing with an Isuzu Ascender. Short distance anyway.

Haha, I've had to do something like that before. My old Frontier (4.0V6) would pull alot, but Uhaul didn't seem fit to let it tow my buddies Mustang with a car hauler. So I called another location and told them it was a Titan. Bingo. The Frontier was debadged so they were none the wiser, lol.

Depending on how good the transmission is, even if you have $500 in the Explorer it's worth it. For a beat around vehicle it will serve well, as long as the 4wd holds up.

Was looking at an "PRETTY OK +" '02 Explorer myself to use as a rustable car. Just too many other things to be done ahead of A FOURTH CAR.

Good luck with yours.

The explorer has a hitch ball on it too could have picked up one more. I hope the codes tell you the problem and it's easy. Sister in law's boyfriend?

I have the 4.0 in my Ranger and local mechanic commented that motor is a real solid engine. I only have
about 60K on the Ranger so its not had any mechanical problems. Wiper motor was replaced tho...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back