Fram Ultra XG-2 Holes On Center Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a couple of pictures of a new fram ultra XG-2 oil filter that i will either be taking back to Wal Mart or cutting it open to post here, I had my daughter pick this up today around noon..Looking inside it looks like the oil holes in the center tube are a little sloppy and not punched out all the way..Putting my pinky into the mounting hole they feel sharp not enough to cut your finger but still very noticeable compared to other Fram XG-2 oil filters and others as well. Some of the oil holes look not to be opened all the way although it is probably not a big issue because it is very slight. I hope their quality is not going down the tubes.. The rest of the filter looks to be very good.
Number on the filter is A61261

98ypgx.jpg
21jbtcg.jpg

I would PM Motorking/Jay Buckley & see if he would be interested in taking a look. I agree, those holes in the center tube shouldn't have that much of a burr around them.

Thanks to you 51 the pictures i took did not really show what i wanted it to but this is my first post..Thanks again.

Here are a few pictures of a fram oil filter that has louvers i took in wal mart i don't remember the number. When i asked motorking if Fram was going to use louvers he said no that there was no Technical benefit to using them. They do that mainly to differentiate product. I guess he was unaware they were using them in some applications.

dh32qa.jpg

v5k8dj.jpg

kbzlue.jpg

That's a 3786, my dads diesel stuff uses that filter # as he got one today for $2 on "clearance" that was made January this year (2016)

I do see the difference between the two you posted, but I fail to comprehend how it would make the slightest difference in actual use. The holes on both look "open" to me.

Hi KC..Although a little hard to see in the pictures i took some of the holes were slightly smaller than others on the XG-2 . Basically it looked a little sloppy im pretty sure it won't make a difference but im suprised quality control did not notice this.. My ocd locked onto it in a second and these are my go to filters.. Im hoping this is just an oversight and it won't be this way going forward.
Im aware there is nothing 100% perfect all the time...Its part of being human.. Other than that this filter looked good from the outside

I can see what you're referring to with the burrs compared to other filters. If the dies get real bad I'd expect to start seeing slugs still attached to the holes.

I truly hope this won't be the norm for Fram and i don't think it will be.. Fram has stepped up the quality game around the time another filter company went down the tubes..

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Here are a couple of pictures of a new fram ultra XG-2 oil filter that i will either be taking back to Wal Mart or cutting it open to post here, I had my daughter pick this up today around noon..Looking inside it looks like the oil holes in the center tube are a little sloppy and not punched out all the way.
21jbtcg.jpg

Those holes look to be punched all the way open. Yes, there seems to be a sharp edge on the circumference of the holes, but that doesn't do any harm on the car. Just don't stick body parts in to the center tube.

Here are a few pictures of a fram oil filter that has louvers i took in wal mart i don't remember the number.
v5k8dj.jpg

Dang ... those louvers are super wide open. No problem there - model louver design.

it's still a sloppy defect in my book.. Probably ok but who knows if there are other issues inside but that goes with any filter or anything else.

i was thinking those louvers were better than the Purolater louvers as they do look opened nicely.

You really can't open louver up any more than those ... those things will flow like crazy.

Honestly, I have had a number of Frams that looked just like that. Some have a little less hole bur, some more. Seems no one has bur free holes except when they do the plastic cage. The baseplate on the Frams, the holes and how close they sit to the ADBV seal, is not the best part of a Fram to me. But I guess it works. The thing about burs is the small metal roughness can come off and it goes directly to the bearings from there. That is a plus for those whose use filters for two oci's as the filter is not new twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back