A/C compressor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Anduril
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It's common here for someone to be ostracized for wanting to do something themselves.

I don't get that. Isn't this a site full of car guys?" Don't most car guys work on their own vehicles? .

Sadly, I think there's a generation of 'car guys' who think that washing and 'detailing'constitutes "a weekend of heavy work on the car," and even take cleaning or appearance modifications to extreme levels like wraps and hydro-dipping trim pieces while totally ignoring everything mechanical. There's also a subset who think they are "car guys" because they read a lot of car magazines. I get keeping a car nice looking and all that, I get enjoying reading about cars... but for me you're not a "car guy" until you turn wrenches, too.

It's like the term 'tuners' now used for someone who sells and installs aftermarket parts. Nothing to do with actual tuning. Sure sounds impressive though.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
How did you properly recycle the refrigerant in the system when you removed your compressor?

I didn't. I just let it bleed out and put another hole in the ozone layer.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How did you properly recycle the refrigerant in the system when you removed your compressor?

Same thing that would have happened if you left the system alone and did absolutely nothing. No harm done thay wouldn't have been done already.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
It's common here for someone to be ostracized for wanting to do something themselves. Just who owns the equipment that will be damaged? It's not like they are offering the service on the side for cash.

It's not ostracising, it suggesting you get a knowledge and the right tools. You wouldn't do a head gasket without a torque wrench. It's the same thing for a/c work. You just need the right tools and the right knowledge. The knowledge part is on offer for free, but you still need the tools do to do it right. The OP is a perfect example of what can happen if you go in without the knowledge or the tools. Compressor failure often ends up with debris pumped through the system, and blindly replacing the compressor can end up with the debris making their way back and killing the new compressor quite quickly.

Nobody is ever saying don't do it yourself. Quite to the contrary, but I am saying do your homework and tool up before you go in and make it worse. If you don't wish to do that, then pay someone with the tools and the knowledge. If you half arse it, it'll end up costing you more in the long run.

I learned years ago how to do auto AC work on my own. I also bought most of the correct equipment. It is not rocket science if you do a little research.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

In 1984 when I had to replace the hoses on my 72 Catalina those WERE the instructions in the shop manual. Evacuate to the atmosphere. I wouldn't lose any sleep. I am not encouraging that, but how many vehicles are left that use R-12? As it turns out, R134a will be phased out, too. It's not ozone depleting. It has a GWP (global warming potential) score that is too high. Who would've guessed that? When I last replaced the compressor on my 89 Accord in 2010 I did take it to a shop that recovered the R-12. The clutch wiring shorted due to a mechanical issue with the compressor. I ended up letting the shop use a replacement refrigerant called "Freeze 12" which is mostly R134a with enough of another gas blended into it to allow the original oil to be miscible in the system. I wrecked the car two years later, but the Freeze 12 produced vent temps around 42 degrees compared to 40 with R-12.

Quote:
As it turns out, R134a will be phased out, too. It's not ozone depleting. It has a patent that is running out. Who would've guessed that?

FTFY

Just wanted to follow up I replaced the clutch today (got one on ebay for $35) got it burnished and everything is working good at the moment. Got a real set of gauges and readings on the high/low pressure side are what they should be. I'm not thinking its fixed forever, but if it gets me through the rest of the summer I'll be happy. Working on A/C is quite the polarizing subject on BITOG it seems... Thanks for the thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back