Idling question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question, kids:

5w 30 full synthetic. 1500 miles on the oil. 4.0 liter V6 Tacoma.

Just had a road trip that involved 3 straight hours of idling due to construction and an accident in the same place. I couldn't turn the engine off because we were constantly inching forward.

Dump the oil, or is the fuel contamination not too bad?

That's like everyday in NYC. Why would you think there is fuel contamination?

Yes I hate that. I was stuck in a similar situation on my last road trip (albeit only 1 hr of idling) that I could not shut off for the exact same reason (creeping traffic). Idling is the worst thing, in my opinion, for IC engines but these situations simply can't always be helped. I wouldn't run out and change the oil at your present 1500 miles but I would apply the severe condition interval to your current fill.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

I didn't know. That's why I asked, yo.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The oil is fine. Why would you want to change it?

The question was about fuel contamination...if it happened. Didn't know, so I asked on an oil forum.

Good, valid question.

I would follow the Severe Service OCI so probably around 5k miles. It's synthetic so you'll be fine but if "peace of mind" is a factor change it at 3k miles.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

Yes, we'd be changing our oil on a weekly basis if three hours idling creeping along in traffic was a problem. A 5k OCI will be fine.

At idle in traffic the engine will be at (or perhaps even above) its normal operating temperature. The inlet manifold vacuum will be at its highest, the fuel amount injected will be low, and the blowby (the entry route for oil contamination) is probably at a minimum due lower cylinder pressures.

These sound like optimum conditions for avoiding fuel contamination.

The "inching" thing is irritating though, especially as a lot of it is pointless, caused by peer pressure. I suspect I've made quite a lot of already stressed people much worse by just not doing it, and letting a gap open up in front of me. THINK it caused at least one minor crash (in which I wasn't involved) so I stopped doing it. In the US I imagine I might have been shot.

Sometime in the 70's, stuck in a jam, I remenber wondering if a minor modification to the starter motor would allow for "electric inching", saving the engine and transmission. If I'd patented it I might be getting a penny on every Prius. Which would be nice.

In New York you can see water vapor (forgot the term)coming from the exhaust of taxi cabs like you would see on a vehicle that was just started in the cold, but I think it's because the engine has idled so long that the cats cooled down enough to not do it's job as well. Same thing with idling cop cars in the cold.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
In New York you can see water vapor (forgot the term)coming from the exhaust of taxi cabs like you would see on a vehicle that was just started in the cold, but I think it's because the engine has idled so long that the cats cooled down enough to not do it's job as well. Same thing with idling cop cars in the cold.

That does not appear to make sense.

Water is a (the) normal combustion end-product. You see it when its cold because it condenses in the atmosphere.

What do you think a catalyst would convert water vapour into? Petrol? Plasma? A searing bolt of raw energy?

So this is a Tacoma, right? Not a direct Injected engine, right? Why would it have fuel dilution problems? Not doing much work. Not a big fuel demand, so injectors are off 99% of the time ...

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: CT8
The oil is fine. Why would you want to change it?

The question was about fuel contamination...if it happened. Didn't know, so I asked on an oil forum.

It may have gotten some fuel, but the remaining highway trip burned it off. Drive on
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back