Ford Focus door strip coming off

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is my dads car he uses for work. We do not own it. He works for the State of Kansas, and the state owns it. Ford told my dad its his fault because he scrapes it when he gets in. Only 33K on the clock and ford will not cover it even though its still under the 36K/3Year warranty. Is there any way to fight it?

Yes he is. One of the problems is he has the seat all the way back. And he scrapes that door when he gets in.

If the state owns the car, why is your Dad fighting with Ford? Shouldn't the fleet manager be doing that?

As far as I know there is no fleet manager. Any time it needs work it goes into a shop the state of Kansas has a contract with. (mostly oil changes). The car has a huge crack in the windshield. My dad has to do some paper work on it then take it to Safelite.

The state owns the vehicle, and is responsible for repairs. There are really only a few options.

Ford pays for it.

Kansas pays for it.

Your father pays for it.

Leave it be.

Have him email Ford and ask for a call back from their rep who handles warranty claims. If that doesn't work, then there are three options left. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't warranty it though, as that part isn't meant to be rubbed against. It's not a flaw or factory defect.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Find a better dealer. We replace those all the time for people. The dealer just has to code it as wind noise and it will go through.

I am so glad to have you on-board, your advises are always helpful.

PS It's so hot the last few days, stay cool.

i really wanted to like the focus, but the entry/egress is awful for anyone 6'0 or taller.

Originally Posted By: glock19
If the state owns the car, why is your Dad fighting with Ford? Shouldn't the fleet manager be doing that?

exactly. I would think that it would be the state that would handle it and not your father directly. While it is a wear and tear item considering the contract the state probably has with the local dealerships they should be able to honor a repair as simple as that

The dealer is right, so why fight it? Rubber doesn't just shred all by itself. This is akin to getting in a car accident and expecting the dealer to cover it under warranty.

27.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I take it you dad is a larger person?

maybe try a different dealer

Your first line is correct, he is rubbing up against it as he gets in and out.

Your second line is crazy considering the first is so correct...every dealer on earth knows what causes this.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
Ford told my dad its his fault because he scrapes it when he gets in. Only 33K on the clock and ford will not cover it even though its still under the 36K/3Year warranty. Is there any way to fight it?

If your dad is so large that he can't get in without tearing the car up, then he or the state of Kansas need to make other accommodations. A warranty isn't for wear and tear because someone simply doesn't fit inside the vehicle, and if your dad is tearing up the car because he's too large, Ford has no obligation to fix it.

If your dad is tall then getting in or out shouldn't cause that (I'm 6'4" and never had that happen on any vehicle). If your dad is morbidly obese then that is the cause.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Find a better dealer. We replace those all the time for people. The dealer just has to code it as wind noise and it will go through.

+1 and he works at a Ford dealer so he should know.

Ask for the service manager rather than a service advisor who is looking to make a fat commission check.

I can't fathom causing this sort of damage. The only thing that comes to mind is on a shuttle van I've had to ride a few times, where people step on the weather strip.

This is his fault plain and simple. Easiest bet is to turn it over to the motor pool as broken and let them fix it and get it back. The most honorable thing would be to remove it and replace it with one he has bought on his own dime since he ruined it.

The car is being used as designed and intended, as the seat is used in its normal range of movement and the wear is not from something being worn (like a back pack) to rub the seal. Ford should be on the hook. Maybe Ford should shorten the seat rails.

Bill

Just did a quick search on the cataloging and I literally have that exact part in stock. Fits from 2011MY up and is the same for RH and LH. CV6Z-5820530-A is the p/n. They call it the "on body weatherstrip" as there is another one that goes around the door.

Jeez, the only time I've seen wear like that is on ex-police cars, where the officers gun drags across the door seal as they get in and out of the vehicle. I can't imagine how an "ordinary" person does that kind of damage!

Mine did that in a little over a year. I believe it's a material problem it was well documented on other vehicles on the Focus forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back