What's your favorite outboard and why ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few of the little basties. And a new to me 70HP Jonsarunde that I'm getting sorted for my Resto-Mod 1961 Glasspar runabout
laugh.gif

What's yours and why?

my favorite that I've never owned is Mercury: good reputation and built nearby. Favorite that I've owned: Force. I had a 40 and have had an 85 for 28 years. They are the former Chrysler outboard. I will likely be alone in admiring them - but my boat mechanic likes them because of their simplicity. anyway, in 26 years I have never had to repair it and it's easy to maintain. (drain the carbs, change plugs, fog it)

As a kid - The Johnson seahorse 75 made our glastron the king of the lake for approximately one summer.
Pulled skiers great ,skied half a day on a fiver, ran forever, always started.

TIE - - the Merc 250-300 2 strokes from the horn motors to the optimax's these are great potent power plants if a bit short lived from an hour perspective.
Take light tunnel - add one you get 100MPH.

The new Merc 400 outboard is astoundingly sweet.

They put 4 people in a 21ft boat and tow a 5th of them 26 miles out in th ocean to Catalina Island - and tow another skier back 26 miles. In a full blown race they use one skier for all 52 miles.

This boat won the Parker 300 Enduro in 2016 with this combo.

Last edited:
I grew up with a 20hp Johnson which I liked, and a 115 Yamaha that I skied behind for a number of years.

Lots of great memories....the lack of smoke on startup went to the old Johnson, power and smoothness went to the Yamaha.

My boat engine, with 70 hours on it, is completely shot due to internal engine corrosion. So scratch off the 90HP Yamaha 2 stroke as my favorite brand of engine. Probably due to previous owner neglect more than anything though.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
British Seagull.

Rabid nationalism. Currently rather fashionable.

I had one, I could start it by grabing the flywheel and giving it a quick twist.

Tower of power 115 Mercury on a Glastron CV16.
My parents bought the boat the summer after I moved away from home from Sampson's Marine in Winnipeg.
I still have the receipt somewhere. They paid less than $3,000 for it including the trailer in 1975.

I guess I'll have to pick the 25hp 1975 Johnson that's on my jon boat since its the only one I've ever had.. haha The foot has a leak I cannot get fixed so I have to change the oil every other trip to the lake, but it runs great.

Go to any Marina where there are near-shore and offshore guide boats and you will have your answer. In Venice, Louisiana for example its probably 90% Yamaha. Those guys depend on their motors to make a living, so there is a reason they choose Yamaha and it isn't because they are cheap.

I really enjoyed a 4-stroke 115 Johnson built by Suzuki. Instant start, no smoke, plenty of power.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Go to any Marina where there are near-shore and offshore guide boats and you will have your answer. In Venice, Louisiana for example its probably 90% Yamaha. Those guys depend on their motors to make a living, so there is a reason they choose Yamaha and it isn't because they are cheap.

Or becuase the dealer network is better in that area for a certain brand?? Go to certain areas of the country, you only see Yamaha. Other areas, you only see Suzuki. Or Evinrude. Or Honda. Etc. Honestly, I'd take a Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, or a Honda. All are good engines.

They bought all the boat companies - changed how business was done in America.
I have a Yam and an Merc and Johnson B4 - all good ...

I'm partial to my rebuilt zero time 1962 Johnson 40HP mechanical shift. I've owned that engine for something like 40 years. One overhaul a while back. But the current boat is to heavy to make that a really good fit. Want 25 over the bottom at 2/3 throttle, with significant reserve if needed ... The 40 would make 25, but it'd pretty much be wide open.

I'm tinkering on my Johnsinrude 3-cylinder 70. Dunno if I'll like it as much, but sea trails are next month and we'll see how it goes... If it ain't enough, we'll get a 115 V4 and that ought to motivate it
laugh.gif

In any case my Honda BF50 is out of here. Already have a buyer sniffing around ... He's a fisherman and welcome to it. Fine for his 16' aluminum boat. Not enough for my 18' hand laid fiberglass Semi-V ...

I tried an EPA/CARB legal motor, it ain't for me ...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets

Or becuase the dealer network is better in that area for a certain brand?? Go to certain areas of the country, you only see Yamaha. Other areas, you only see Suzuki. Or Evinrude. Or Honda. Etc. Honestly, I'd take a Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude, or a Honda. All are good engines.

Venice is 1.5 hours from New Orleans, dealers are non existent and there is one shop. It is literally like being on island in the middle of no-where.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I really enjoyed a 4-stroke 115 Johnson built by Suzuki. Instant start, no smoke, plenty of power.
I had it's bigger brother in a 140. Best in class 4 stroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back