FCA to produce no *cars* in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, the only cars will be the 300 and the Fiat 500.

Nobody has taken FCA up on their offer to build compact and mid-size cars so come 2017 they won't have any in their lineup. They're betting on trucks with a $1.5B revamping of the facility that builds the 200...which was a big investment in the first place.

Remember all the hype about a world-class sedan built by Detroit? It was a [censored] car that couldn't compete and since it didn't generate profits, it gets cut.

Chrysler is screwed if gas prices go back up. You'd think they'd learn from the past.

Can someone explain why this particular brand in general has undergone so many ownership/management changes? FCA is now what used to be Daimler Chrysler, which used to be Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler correct?

Originally Posted By: whip
Chrysler is screwed if gas prices go back up. You'd think they'd learn from the past.

Hopefully this time they will go away for good.

Well, they do have company in this pattern. GM is not going to continue their Buick Verano for the same reasons.

I'm no fan of FCA, their leader spends too much time and breath talking about how he needs a partner to survive...I guess from his vantage point he's circling the drain?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perhaps YUGO can step in with some high quality production.

That would be an upgrade for FCA!

Originally Posted By: KGMtech

I'm no fan of FCA, their leader spends too much time and breath talking about how he needs a partner to survive...I guess from his vantage point he's circling the drain?

Pretty much. He's realizing what a POS company he bought. The only bright spot is Jeep and that's due to perceived "coolness" not because they are great vehicles. Ram has the highest incentives on the hood ($16k as of the commercials I saw on TV) just to move product. Chrysler in general has the highest incentives and lowest profit margins of automakers....

I believe we blew up that factory way back when.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Perhaps YUGO can step in with some high quality production.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Can someone explain why this particular brand in general has undergone so many ownership/management changes? FCA is now what used to be Daimler Chrysler, which used to be Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler correct?

You missed at least one, in there. Cerberus Management bought Chrysler from Daimler and owned it for a bit, and there may have been another one as well.

I'm not sure why it's been through so many owners. It's no stranger to brand-trading, though. Remember the AMC/Jeep/Eagle dealers? I think they were tied-in with Chrysler to some degree at the time as well. They also had a joint venture with Mitsubishi called Diamond-Star Motors. I think, at best, Chrysler has suffered from a lack of corporate direction. They've had their hands in so many different cookie jars in the past, it's hard to discern what their end game was at the time.

Renault had a controlling interest in American Motors. American Motors brought in a bunch of Renault captive Imports as "Eagle" brand, not to be confused with AMC's Eagle lineup of 4x4 Hornet based cars.

Chrysler contracted out manufacturing of a few vehicles to American Motors in the early 80s, I read that's what lead to Chrysler buying American Motors from Renault. Chrysler bought American Motors and bought out Renault's share in 1987 but let American Motors control their own manufacturing of AMC/Jeep products until 1990.

Chrysler was bought by Daimler and Daimler actually made their products worse. Then Daimler sold Chrysler to Cerberus ... and Cerberus just buys large businesses, bleeds any extra money out of them and sells them to someone else. Continued to use a lot of Daimler stuff and still has issues. Then Fiat bought them and Fiatsler was born.

That is OK, the died in wool fans of Chrysler products will still claim that Chrysler is more "American" than foreign brands which actually manufacture in America.

I wonder what !! Henry, walter, Louis and william would think of the mess they have made of there companies.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Renault had a controlling interest in American Motors. American Motors brought in a bunch of Renault captive Imports as "Eagle" brand, not to be confused with AMC's Eagle lineup of 4x4 Hornet based cars.

Chrysler contracted out manufacturing of a few vehicles to American Motors in the early 80s, I read that's what lead to Chrysler buying American Motors from Renault. Chrysler bought American Motors and bought out Renault's share in 1987 but let American Motors control their own manufacturing of AMC/Jeep products until 1990.

Chrysler was bought by Daimler and Daimler actually made their products worse. Then Daimler sold Chrysler to Cerberus ... and Cerberus just buys large businesses, bleeds any extra money out of them and sells them to someone else. Continued to use a lot of Daimler stuff and still has issues. Then Fiat bought them and Fiatsler was born.

OK wow quite a history.

It still puzzles me that they also branched off the trucks under the brand name "Ram".

Too much corporate reorganizing going on. I feel for their employees who probably spend half their time now figuring out how to route orders to departments that have a different name each week.

I used to work for a failing software company that would reorg once a quarter as a half assed effort to minimize people from getting too disgruntled. Hint: it doesn't work that way.

I'm thinking that unless things change, you won't be able to buy any car (only trucks or SUV's) that are made in USA by an American company in the near future.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I'm thinking that unless things change, you won't be able to buy any car (only trucks or SUV's) that are made in USA by an American company in the near future.

Well apparently Hyundai/KIA, BMW, MB, Honda, Toyota and Nissan do not have problem making cars in the U.S. and make profit.
It is not where they are made, it is f.... leadership. Some decades ago American car companies started to be run by accountants not engineers. It is not only car companies, it is all American companies that are publicly shared. Here comes CEO, and needs to present good numbers for next board meeting, so cut cost, make thing cheaper. Next meeting: you see we made more money because I am just sooooo good. Then that CEO goes away, comes next one, same [censored], and then after some time you get a car like Chrysler Pacifica or similar crime against humanity.
Look at Yahoo. CEO will get paid ridiculous amount of money, why? Because she did not allow Yahoo to bankrupt in last four years?
It is sad state of affairs. Companies become public. Guy/girl who started company is eventually gone, and then vaulters start to eat company alive.
And JEEP? Jesus, yesterday I was driving behind one that could not be older then a year and literally part fell off the car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Well apparently Hyundai/KIA, BMW, MB, Honda, Toyota and Nissan do not have problem making cars in the U.S. and make profit.
It is not where they are made, it is f.... leadership.

One thing those don't have that Ford, GM, and Chrysler do have is Unions and union commitments. The US 3 have those legacy costs and outside of 1 Toyota factory (NUMMI) none of the others are unionized nor do they have pensions, etc to deal with for their labor force.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
American Motors brought in a bunch of Renault captive Imports as "Eagle" brand, not to be confused with AMC's Eagle lineup of 4x4 Hornet based cars.

The Eagle "Brand" came about after Chrysler bought AMC. They were required to market a number of Renault designs for a period of time after the sale.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
I wonder what !! Henry, walter, Louis and william would think of the mess they have made of there companies.

Henry Who? Ford is doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back