0W20 in the Ranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have certainly learned a lot from reading on this forum.

I am about to do an oil change on my 09 Ford Ranger, which has 113000 km on it. Current fill is Peak Conventional 5W30. I have a stash of 0W20 Petro Canada synthetic from my wife's Corolla, which was written off earlier this year. Am I going to be safe in using the 0W20 in the Ranger? I thought it might be good for the sometimes brutally cold Alberta winters.

Thanks in advance,
Brett

Which engine does it have? The 2.3 4 cylinder and 3.0 V6 can safely use a 20 weight oil. The 4.0 SOHC V6 cannot safely use a 20 weight and should only have 30 weight oil.

The 3.0 should be good with it. The 4.0 I wouldn't, though.

If it's the 2.3 - no problem with 0w-20 in that engine! There's a few different members here that have that engine in various applications (I have a smaller version in a Focus) and it works just great!

Mine has no problem with 0w-20 towing in the Focus!

Or 0w-30. Or 10w-30. They are easy on oil. My Duratec engine is much quieter on 0wxx in the winter than 5 or 10w oils.

First welcome to BITOG!

As others have pointed out you can use the PC 0W-20 year round if you have the 2.3L or 3.0L engine.
If it's the 4.0L V6 you can use the 0W-20 as long as you can maintain sufficient oil pressure when the oil is fully hot and you likely can.
If you don't have an oil pressure gauge to determine your operational viscosity you can rely on ambient temp's. So using the 0W-20 from October through April should be fine. And if you get a chinook during that period simply avoid using WOT when the engine fully hot.

It is a V6 4.0 engine. I have never run a 0W anything before in it. Typically it gets 5W30 unless I have a stash of 10W30, which I might use in the spring/summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good synth or semi-synth 0W30 for winter use, or should I just stick with Peak 5W30 conventional?

Thanks for all the replies!

Brett

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If you're uncomfortable running the PC 0W-20 in the winter months take it back and exchange it for PC 0W-30 which you can use year round.
+1

Originally Posted By: iambretto
It is a V6 4.0 engine. I have never run a 0W anything before in it. Typically it gets 5W30 unless I have a stash of 10W30, which I might use in the spring/summer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good synth or semi-synth 0W30 for winter use, or should I just stick with Peak 5W30 conventional?

Thanks for all the replies!

Brett

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
If you're uncomfortable running the PC 0W-20 in the winter months take it back and exchange it for PC 0W-30 which you can use year round.

There you go....exchange for the 0w30; much better for winter in Canada than the 5w30 conventional.

Originally Posted By: iambretto
It is a V6 4.0 engine. I have never run a 0W anything before in it.

Brett

"0" is only a measure of how well it delivers oil in very cold weather. The lower the better. 0W is better than 5W

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back