Who watches the oil co's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend I picked up 8 quarts of Castrol Magnatec 5w20 simi-synthetic for my 2013 Mustang GT other then the fact that my car seems to run great on this oil I do have a question on simi-synthetic oil in general.

Is there any rules that an oil company has to follow to say an oil is classified as a simi-synthetic? 10% synthetic 20%-50% etc? Who keeps an eye on the oil companies to see if they are being honest? Is there some sort of standard they have to follow? Is Motorcraft simi-synthetic 40% synthetic per quart and Castrol only 15% per quart?

The standards are the specifications, classifications, certifications on the back. Not Synthetic/semi-synthetic etc.

So if you're looking into keeping something honest, those are the stamps you are looking for.

Magnatec 5w-20 is a full synthetic according to Castrol. Other Magnatec viscosities, such as 5w-30, are synthetic blends.

I'd say its a mixed bag of watchers, which I guess means nobody at all. How effective it is, is anyone's guess. First of all, if advertised claims are too far away from reality, oil companies have shown a lot of willingness to take each other to court. Pennzoil had a Brett Farve ad campaign that Castrol took to court, as part of a wide ranging suit that insisted that Pennzoil was out of line (I don't recall the exact charges). Valvoline has also taken on Prestone (either in US courts or in these quasi-judicial tribunals that our government sets up like the FTC) for false claims about whether P.'s coolant is actually suitable for all vehicles.

Then there is teh PQIA, which of course takes money from oil companies, but takes money from many of them. They test everyone's oil (as actually sold in bottles in American stores) and publish the results. To a certain extent, this keeps everyone honest. They mainly nail the small motor oil companies that many outside of BITOG have never heard of. The only big company that I recall had a horrendous result was Valvoline's nextgen that had one spec that was totally out of whack. Now this will not help you with synthetic vs. blend vs. conventional, but they do, for instance, publish NOACK volatility. If that spec is well below 15% (which conventionals have to hit to be SN), you can bet it is synthetic that is making the difference. Most conventioanls come in around 14.5%.

At this point, I only trust what is on the bottle. If it means a lot to you to have a synthetic blend that has a lot of synthetic, I would go with Pennzoil Gold, which openly on the back states that the base oil is 50% synthetic. Because it is actually stated, and not simply given me over the phone by a customer support person, I believe them.

I'm not aware of any number that a synthetic blend "has" to be. I've heard a few say there isn't any given percentage, that it could be a drop of synthetic; I've read others here give very low percentages. If you are ok with less than the 50% that you could get with Pennzoil Gold, you could use Dexos certification, which requires a 13% NOACK volatility, which to my knowledge has not been hit by any conventional oil. So there woudl have to be a decent amount of synthetic that would allow any oil to meet that spec, to gain DEXOS certification.

Originally Posted By: paulri

Then there is teh PQIA, which of course takes money from oil companies, but takes money from many of them.

Just to be clear, PQIA supporters have no advance knowledge of which oils are being tested, and learn of the brands and test results at the same time the public does - when published on the PQIA website. The oil companies support PQIA because they believe PQIA provides an important service to the industry, just as they support the API, SAE, ILMA, and ASTM.

Regarding semi-synthetics, there are no official technical, legal, or industry definitions. These are unregulated marketing terms. Also there are no test methods to determine the percentage of Group IIIs in a blend with Group I or II base oils. PAO, ester, and AN, yes, but not typical Group IIIs.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Regarding semi-synthetics, there are no official technical, legal, or industry definitions. These are unregulated marketing terms. Also there are no test methods to determine the percentage of Group IIIs in a blend with Group I or II base oils. PAO, ester, and AN, yes, but not typical Group IIIs.

Tom NJ

^This.

A company can formulate an oil with 1% synthetic (or maybe even less), and sell it as a synthetic blend/semi-synthetic. It happens.
Don't focus on marketing terms. Focus on specifications.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Who keeps an eye on the oil companies to see if they are being honest? Is there some sort of standard they have to follow?

The guys at the Walmart Auto center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back