Milwaukee cordless 2662-21 impact wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do a lot of work on the suspension of my Volvo 240. I am old, and using a breaker bar is just not my thing any more, so I decided to buy a cordless impact wrench. I bought the Milwaukee 2662-21 that comes with one battery. Bought it for a total of $197.78. It has 450 ft. pounds forward torque, and 640 ft. pounds of reverse torque. Hopefully that will be enough to get all the suspension work done on my Volvo. I thought about buying the Fuel brushless model, but I think that's over kill for what I am doing. Sure more power is better, but on the other hand I don't want to be shearing bolts either.

The 26662-21 only comes with one 3.0 amp hour battery. I do plan on buying another battery, and I was wondering if the 4.0 or 5.0 battery would be worth paying extra for it, or just buy another 3.0 amp hour battery?

If anybody owns the 2662 detent pin, or the 2663 with friction ring, let me know your thoughts about them.

If your know what your doing, you dont shear bolts. Many have air impacts with a lot more power then your m18 and dont shear bolts.

Suspension parts always seem to be on the car tighter then what spec requires it to be. So i would want all the power i can get. m18 non fuel isn't bad at all but if i had the extra $$ i would of gotten the FUEL units.

For the normal DIY the bigger batteries might not benefit you. I use my m12 non-fuel all the time but never needed to wait for a charge. My charger is a 30 minute charger and i have 2 batteries. I use it on everything i can find in the engine bay that is 10,12,14mm. Your suspension work should be similiar but with a more powerful m18 and larger bolts. Those bigger batteries are for more demanding tools like sawzaws or hammer drills.

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Those bigger batteries are for more demanding tools like sawzaws or hammer drills.

Never thought about that.

I am going to buy the the Milwaukee 2630-20 circular saw some time soon. The full kit comes with 3.0 amp hour batteries, so I think if I buy another 3.0 amp hour battery I should be ok. Prices for the batteries are all over the place especially if you check prices on Amazon. Not sure if some of those batteries are legit or not.

I have the dewalt dcf899p1
http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-too...t-50ah/dcf899p1

It definitely works much better with a 5ah battery than anything below a 3ah.

The grinders do as well.

I prefer detent pin. If I am switching sockets frequently just dont use the pin hole in the socket. OTOH if you do use the hole on the socket it wont fall off.

Hog ring is ok for certain things but they do wear out.. they are too tight when new and too loose when well broken in.

I paid about 260$ for my dewalt

I would get the larger batteries, a bit heavier but they do last longer. I have the Milwaukee M18 Fuel High Torque impact wrench. I have not used a pneumatic wrench in awhile.

If you just put straight force on a stuck nut or bolt with a pipe on a wrench, you will end up with enough force that either the bolt will come off or snap.

However an impact might just sit there and hammer against the bolt. Less chance of snapping it.

I had a rusted lug nut on a trailer. I used PB Blaster and then tried to get it off with impact. No go. But after a few days of PB Blaster and impact, it came out. I prefer that scenario to a snapped bolt or stud. In this case I was not in a hurry.

Impact will be here next Thursday, and I am going to use Liquid Wrench on every bolt that has to come off every couple days until it gets here.

Found a Miwaukee PDF that has the 2773 and 2663 on it comparing those two to the competition. The 26663 and the 2662 like I bought are the same except for the socket retention. It says 450 ft-lbs max fastening torque and 700 ft-lbs nut busting torque for the 2663/2662, so that's a lot.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/~/media/PDF/2763.pdf

I have used both detent pin and hog-ring version of impact wrenches. No contest, get the hog-ring one. Even if you think you would be happy with detent pin after getting the hog-ring first, you will be disappointed with detent pin once you use the both.

That was $197.78 well spent. This Milwaukee impact is a beast, and it's right at seven pounds with the battery. Blew right through the rear suspension work on my Volve 240. Changed shocks, springs, new rotors, and new brake pads. Battery went down one bar out of four doing the work. Next up is front suspension work. Going to change struts, inner and outer tie rods, ball joints, and then go get a front end alignment. I am sure the Milwaukee can handle it.

The warranty of 5 years on impact wrench, and three years on battery is very good.

The larger battery will have more energy, and lower impedance... So for the same amount of draw, they will actually stay cooler and be impacted less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back