Mr. Funnel does in fact work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a salesman or spokesperson for this product, just from my own personal experience if anyone is wondering about the Mr. Funnel.

Water in car's fuel tank is bad enough but seems like if it's in a gravity feed fuel system like a lawnmower, tractor or my Trabant, it's worse. At least if the car has a fuel pump it will agitate it.

Back in the spring I got my riding mower out and after a few laps it started to sputter. Thinking it was either the gas or the filter, I siphoned the gas out and was going to let was was left in the tank just hit the pavement. I disconnected the hose after the filter, but instead of a solid stream , it was a drip. HMMM, that's odd. So I knew the problem was the filter.

I replaced the filter and replaced the fuel with gas from my gas can and isolated the gas from the mower's tank into another can and placed a piece of duct tape on the can with a "?" in case it was not the gas.

I mowed for 3 hours and parked it in my yard barn. 2 weeks later, same thing happened. Even though I run 100% gas in my mowers, water will still condensate in 100% gas and sink to the bottom just like E10 will if not topped off over the winter. I normally do this after I mow but for some reason did not do this last fall before putting the mower up for the season.

I came to the conclusion that water was settling to the bottom of the tank and saturating the filter element and not allowing gas to pass through it.

This is what the second filter looked like, does it look clogged to you guys?:

IMG_20160509_181532438_zpsemb07t7l.jpg

IMG_20160509_181601760_HDR_zpse9fg6q5b.jpg

After it dried out, I was able to blow through it.

After the second incident, I poured the current gas from my mower's tank, what was leftover from last season and the questionable gas the first go around through one of those Mr. Funnels. I bought this to filter out any trash before it get's to the filter. But the Teflon mesh filter is also supposed to filter water out of gasoline. Really? How's it supposed to do that? Since then, I have not had any issues with this same gas.

I was watching one of those Alaska shows and one guy was using one while refilling his snowmobile. Apparently water is bad about freezing in fuel lines in Alaska. It get's cold here in Tennessee but I've never had a gas line to freeze on me on anything in my life.

So I did an experiment.

I poured some fresh 100% gas into a glass jar then marked the level with a marker. Then added about the same amount of water on top of that.

Then poured the gas/water through one of those Mr. Funnels. I was amazed! Water will not pass through the filter. However it only seems to catch about 95 to 99% of the water. The strained gas was a bit cloudy. I suspect from where some water was still suspended.

After the strained gas sat for about a day, it formed a layer. There was a trace amount in the bottom of the jar. I poured that back through the filter and it removed more water.

I took the jar of gas and shook it up. I noticed that although water and gas is not supposed to mix and will decant, if there is a small trace amount of water in gasoline, it will suspend somewhat and take several hours before they will separate. I don't know what the saturation point of water in gasoline actually is. I just know if it's cloudy, it's saturated with water.

So, does the Mr. Funnel actually work? Yes! It seemed to solve my issue with my lawnmower.

But in my experiment using a 50/50 mix, it only seemed to remove 95 to 99% of the water. Maybe because the gasoline was "saturated" or I did not wipe out the jars between tests so there was trace amounts of water left after poring.

Any of you guys want to add to this or share any of your own experiments like this?

Another approach to water in fuel is to add a little methanol (methyl alcohol). My understanding is it combines with any water and the combination is burned. It doesn't form ice anyway.

It's been used as gas line antifreeze in Canada for years. When I lived on the prairies I used to carry a small bottle of it in each of my cars during the winter. A car that mysteriously stalls on a cold day (particularly right after a fill) can often be miraculously brought back to life by adding a little gas line antifreeze. It was cheap insurance anyway, as I carried those same bottles for at least 10 years.

The one real advantage I see to E10 fuel is that frozen gas lines seem to be a thing of the past. Presumably the ethanol acts the same way.

I don't know whether the ethanol or methanol + water combination would plug your filter though.

I seem to think I have water in the gas in my '03 Subaru. This has been going on for about four years now. The check engine light will not kick on. It seemed to have started after the car sat for 2 months about 4 years ago without being driven. We had a mild winter (like 65F in January and February) so I had been driving other cars.

I have a bunch of classic cars I drive in the summer so the Subaru sits in the garage mostly during the summer months. It's got this crazing intermittent bucking problem between 2500 and 3000 RPMs. It's worse if:

Car sits for more than a couple of weeks
Fuel tank is topped off but can happen at half a tank but has been worse if I'm down to a couple of gallons. I don't normally run the tank down that empty. I just thought perhaps I'd run that tank out and start with fresh fuel.

The problem usually goes away after the car is driven for about 5 miles or 15 minutes (if either topped off or not been driven in a few weeks) but can sometime return for no apparent reason.

Usually this happens at part throttle when my foot is rested on the accelerator doing between 2500 and 3000 rpms. if I shift to the next gear and open the throttle up a bit more to maintain the same speed and drop the RMPS down to 2000, the bucking goes away. if I set my cruise control at these RPMs, the problem doesn't occur. So I thought maybe it had something to do with the accelerator.

I've tried adding a new fuel filter, that Sta-Bil ethanol treatment, running 100% gas, driving around with the fuel cap slightly loose to no avail.

Even the day I topped off 2 gallons with the rest at 100%, the bucking occurred.

I wondered if there was water in the fuel tank and the initial bucking is water entering the engine. then the fuel/water get's agitated and every now and then some water breaks loose in the filter and goes into the engine.

If I had this HEET or dry gas on top of E10 is there any benefit?

I park one car all winter and have never had a water issue with gas. It is E10 gas. Today's cars have sealed fuel tanks so no absorption of water from the air should happen from just sitting.

If the E10 fuel is saturated with water there is no way short of draining the tank to get it out. Adding more alcohol whether ethyl or methyl will fix it.

I noticed today that there is no water in the gasoline in my jar from my experiment. I think the thing is, the Mr. Funnel will remove water from gasoline that has decanted but is not saturated or mixed.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Have you tried a fuel additive that deals with small amounts of water?

I think you get it already in your fuel if you are using E10 or higher.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Have you tried a fuel additive that deals with small amounts of water?

Get some gasline antifreeze. It's most rubbing alcohol but it'll remove any moisture in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back