03 rav4 2.0 awd only took 2qts of mtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dealership and technical data sites show this 03 rav4 awd 2.0 takes 3.5L of mtf. After 2 qts of mt90 it was not dripping out of the fill hile. As i started with a 3rd qt it immediately dripped. Shifts fine. Is it good?

Internet write ups show 2 qts i seen. Some say the transfer case is shared with the transmission but the manual shows to use a different gear lube. Dealer says it is a seperate non connected item and does not share oil. Also gl5 oils to be bad on the syncros so i used red line mt90 and shifts feel fine. Better than what was in it.

There is a oil cooler for the 5spd trans. Maybe that's why it only took 2 qts ? The rest is maybe in the cooler to equal 3.8 qts as per the dealer and the manual?

Last edited:
Fluid was hot. 2.5L at the most came out. It would not take much more than 2 bottles. Car is currenlty being used but im sure it also said 3.5L in the manual. I will have to check that later.

Last edited:
A fill plug won't lie.

Re-check your manual. If it is indeed 3.5L, wait a month or so and do another drain and fill with the transmission cold.

ok.will do. Is it weird that this manual transmission has a large front mount oil cooler? Maybe 1.5L is stuck in it? Cant see how the 90 weight oil would push it self through it. Would it have a pump? Also could it be oem? Or was this a auto befor ha. A YouTube video on a 99 rav4 mtf diy had a oil cooler as well.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back